Freelance writer, mum of two who loves living in sunny Perth.
Published June 3rd 2014
Shake your booty
If you're looking to try out a new form of exercise and are based in Perth's Northern suburbs, then you'll be pleased to hear of this great Zumba class happening every Tuesday night, at Currambine Community Centre.
Get fit, Get to Zumba. Image: Stuart Miles, Freedigitalphotos.net
Zumba is a high energy dance fitness class that has your heart rate pumping nice and high to match the rhythm of the Latino beats. Dubbed as a 'workout party', this is a fitness class with a difference where you can follow easy instruction for a total body workout. No prior fitness or dance knowledge is required as Zumba classes are based on moves that are repeated and easy to follow. All you need is some enthusiasm and you're good to go.
Here are 5 reasons to give Zumba a go:
1) You can burn up to (or exceed) 800 calories in one session. This makes for a very effective use of your time, and the best thing is that you're using your whole body, so every bit of you gets some attention.
2) It's fun and puts you in a good mood. If you're someone who puts off going to the gym because you don't enjoy it, then try a Zumba class where the funky music puts a smile on your face, and where you can dance your cares away.
3) It's easy and when you've been to a few classes you'll find that the moves come easily for you and you can even start to add your own funky flavour to the tracks.
4) It improves your co-ordination and concentration skills.
5) It''s effective for weight loss, toning, and for getting your heart pumping. The Australian Heart Foundation recommends at least 30 minutes of moderate intensity exercise ideally every day, so this is a perfect way to help you hit this goal.
Classes take place on Tuesday night at 6.30pm, at Currambine Community Centre. Led by the energetic Racheal, who takes you through the moves with clear instructions and a genuine love for fitness through Zumba.
The lovely Rachael
Racheal has a number of tracks that you'll hear regularly, but mixes it up by adding in new tunes and moves throughout the month. As a lot of the Zumba work out is based on similar moves and repetition, even when new dances are introduced, you never feel completely lost.
Get to Zumba
If you want to have fun, burn some calories and get your groove on, feeling like one of Jennifer Lopez's backing dancers then give this class a go. To connect with Racheal, visit her Facebook page here or get inspired through her website here. Rachael also runs a children's class on a Monday in Butler if you've got kids who'd enjoy this fun aerobic dance. There are more details available through the website.
Helen, thank you so much for writing about my Zumba Fitness class! It is the gorgeous, fun and friendly participants, like you that make it such a fun class. I always look forward to Tuesdays, and leading you guys in a calorie burning, endorphin releasing fitness party. It’s great to see everyone’s smiling, energized faces at the end of the class. Thank you again, Helen and see you on Tuesday :)