Z Ward as it is was nicknamed, was home to the criminally insane, located within the former Glenside Mental Hospital. Originally built (completed) in 1886, it was home to some of South Australia's murderers, rapists and those with severe mental health issues. The ward catered for up to 40 patients at a time and when it closed in 1973, inmates were relocated to other jails around the state.
After the closure of the asylum, the site sat unoccupied for many years, apart from being used as a storage site. It was after an outpouring of community support and a desire to restore the building for historical purposes, that it later was reopened in 2014.