As the wild mushroom season approaches once again, it's a great time to learn the art of mushroom foraging.
If you're new to mushroom hunting, it can be a bit daunting, especially with such a wide variety of different species (some very dangerous), however there are a number of guides who provide tours or expeditions to help you to positively identify the safe, edible fungi that grows in the Victorian region
Here are six Mushroom Tours being conducted in Victoria this year:
There's a huge variety of fungi in Victoria, so it's important to correctly identify any that you collect for eating.
1. Cameron Russell Mushroom Tours - Morning Peninsula Cameron Russell will once again be running Mushroom Tours on Sundays at Moorooduc on the Mornington throughout May and June 2017. Learn how to distinguish between edible and poisonous mushrooms, and if you wish, stay for lunch afterwards to enjoy some delicious food created with the mushrooms from the morning's walk.
Dates and Times Tours will be held on Sundays from May 7th - June 11th Times vary, from 9:00am, 10:30am to 10:45am See the tour page for a full list)
Cost is $65 per person and if you wish to stay for lunch afterwards, it's an extra $50.
2. Autumn Harvest - Foraging With Chris Kowalski Forager Chris Kowalski runs half-day wild mushroom tours for groups of between 8-12 people. Each tour includes a wild mushroom forest forage, a cooking and picking lesson, mushroom lunch, as well as a basket of pickings to take home with you.
For the 5-hour forage and lunch, the cost is $180 per person.
3. La Fiera Festival Mushroom Forage - Myrtleford
As part of the La Fiera Italian Festival held in Myrtleford, there will be Wild Mushroom Forages held on both the Saturday and Sunday of the festival. Places are limited for this popular event, so book online to secure your place.
Date and Time:
Saturday the 20th of May 2017
Sunday the 21st of May 2017.
Participants will meet at 9:45am for a 10am start.
The cost is $35.30 per person (no concessions).
Participants will need to wear suitable footwear and have the ability to walk across hilly terrain.
4. Max's May Mushroom Meander - Mornington Peninsula
Chef Max Paganoni from Max's Resaurant at Red Hill Estate will be conducting Mushroom Tours at Red Hill on the Mornington Peninsula during the month of May.
Dates and Times
Forages will be held on the following dates:
Saturday 20th May 2017
Sunday 21st May 2017
Saturday 27th May 2017
Sunday 28th May 2017
The starting time will be 10:30am, and each forage will be followed by a two-course lunch and glass of wine.
5. T'Gallant 'Mushrooms in May' Tours - Mornington Peninsula
T'Gallant will be holding their annual 'Mushrooms in May' tours on every Friday, Saturday and Sunday throughout May.
Tours will include a walk to explore the different types of fungi in the area, and advice on how to identify edible and non-edible mushrooms. The walk will be followed by a mushroom-inspired lunch and glass of wine.
Dates and Times:
Fri 5th, Sat 6th, Sun 7th May - 11am and 1pm
Fri 12th, Sat 13th, Sun 14th May - 11am and 1pm
Fri 19th, Sat 20th, Sun 21st May - 11am and 1pm
Fri 26th, Sat 27th, Sun 28th May - 11am and 1pm
$49 per person
T'Gallant Cellar Door
1385 Mornington Flinders Rd, Main Ridge, Victoria
Further Information and Bookings:
For more information or to book, visit their website.
6. Alison Pouliot Fungi Workshops and Events - Various locations, including Trentham, Woodend, and Wye River
Alison is a scientist and environmental photographer who possesses a wealth of knowledge when it comes to fungi. She is holding a number of different events and workshops on the topic of fungi this year, in a variety of locations in Victoria.
Dates and Locations:
There are a number of events throughout April, May and June. Locations vary but include a number of events in Trentham, Woodend, Kyneton, Melbourne and the Otways.
For more information on all of Alison's upcoming events, including dates, locations, and booking information, visit Alison's website.