Subscribe      List an Event or Business      Invite a Writer      Write for WN      Writers      Other Locations
Home > Everywhere > Comments > Which Decade Had the Best Sweets?
Your Reply
Optional Image: (jpg or gif)
Your Email:

Security Image:
uczuca
Security Text:
copy text from image above
Highlighted
minimum score: order: subscribe:
Absolutely the 1960's!
Donald Duck X29 big orange flavoured icypoles were fabulous!
Or lollies included Lypties, SOS, Musk Sticks that tasted of musk!! the Floral LifeSavers and Butterscotch LifeSavers to be sucked in church against coughing fits (best excuse ever!).
HONEY-BEARS that tasted of HONEY!!
Choo-Choo bars with thick soft coating before the hard inner core, White Knights that went 'all bendy' and lasted for hours, the aniseed CannonBalls that could chip teeth if impatient. Last week I was talking to a friend about the brown & yellow, banana/caramel sticks and RedSkin raspberry flavoured stick of milky toffee, that went bendy if stashed in yr pocket for too long. How about the Spearmint Leaves? Much smaller than the big fat gluey things now which had a burst of Spearmint that made yr eyes pop, and Mum decorated cakes with so well.
And Spearmint icypoles similar to a PaddlePop - but bigger and thicker.

An ice-cream scoop in a cone tasted wonderful - not like the synthetic lack-lustre ice-creams foisted on us now and full of preservatives. Oh the Cream Betweens and struggling not to drop the icecream slice before getting it between the 2 wafers.
The Triple Treat - choc coated with vanilla, strawberry and marshmallow layers inside - THAT was a brilliant ice-cream. The days when Choc Tops at the local flicks had icecream all the way down to the bottom - brilliant treats on Saturday arvos.

We did not have to suffer the inferior 'gummy' rubbish kids have now. Gummy stuff is lazy RUBBISH! The art of making lollies has gone - dunno where is went, but it has definitely gone!

Perhaps that is why so many more lollies are consumed today - people are still trying to achieve a decent taste and satisfaction that is no longer there.
Even Twisties are no longer the wonderful experience they were. Twisties lack cheese now and have little hard bits in them.

I do not trust lollies imported from SthAfrica, Peru, Yugoslavia, China, Chile, and other countries whose standards of cleanliness are nowhere near Australia's high standards.
Don't be fooled by English lollies either - there are just as rubbish as the other imports.
Who let our lovely Aussie lollies die? I know I did not help. I stayed faithful and supported our Confectionery industry.
Our Polly Waffles, Hoadley's Violet Crumbles, and the MacRobertson's Vanilla Nougat Bar which cost me 2 teeth after I put a bendy one in the fridge before chomping on it before tea on a hot Summer's day.
Black Magic, Rowntrees, MacRobertson's have deep, fond memories for so many. I can almost taste the Peppermint crisp coating melting in my mouth now.
Chocolate was Wonderful then - nothing remotely like the greasy, cold, oily & chemical stuff they pretend is chocloate now.

No wonder people talk about the GOOD OLD DAYS. Our lollies were MUCH BETTER and more rewarding than the imported lack-lustre, non-flavoursome, gelatine filled, crap flogged at the outrageously unreasonable, unnecessarily exorbitant prices demanded today.
Bring back our Aussie lollies and let the good times roll, again!

I just had an idea -
Ask your friends, parents and grandparents to write down their favourite childhood lollies.
Then, we could launch a campaign to have an Australian Confectionery company re-make the top five for us again.
by fluffynut (score: 3|1028) 2863 days ago