Loves going out and about in Canberra and writing about her adventures! Also addicted to coffee, high teas, escape rooms, and dressing up.
Published June 23rd 2019
Thirteen places to get your cake and eat it too
Whatever the celebration, whether it's a birthday, wedding, anniversary, a religious holiday such as Christmas, Easter and Hanukkah, or a cultural celebration such as the Chinese and Vietnamese Mid Autumn Festival, or Hogmanay in Scotland, you can expect a cake to be a big (if not, the most important) part of the festivities. After all, a birthday doesn't really feel like a birthday without cake, right? And the cake at a wedding makes a statement as much as the bride's dress does. What's Easter in Italy without the Colomba di Pasqua, or the "Easter dove" cake? What's Christmas in England and many other English-speaking countries without Christmas fruit cake? And it certainly wouldn't be a Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival without the traditional moon cake.
Cakes have always been a significant part of holidays and celebrations. If you have a celebration coming up but you just don't have the time to bake a cake or if your baking skills are non-existent like mine, then here are thirteen places in Canberra where you can find your cake and eat it too!
Since 1994, Dobinsons Bakery has been serving mouth-watering pastries and treats to the Canberra community. Dobinsons now has three locations: at Bunda Street in the city, Westfield Belconnen and Westfield Woden. Check out their sweet selection of cakes for your special occasion. To find out more, visit their website here.
2.The Continental Cake Shop The Continental Cake Shop offers a wide range of freshly baked cakes for all occasions. You'll find smooth and creamy cheesecakes, decadent mud cakes, light and fluffy sponges, tortes, and specialty cakes in a range of flavours, designs and sizes. You can also custom design your own cake. Come and see what The Continental Cake Shop can offer you for your special event. They are located at 4/38 Reed St N, Greenway, Tuggeranong. Open Monday- Saturday 8am – 7pm and Sunday & Public Holidays 8am – 6pm.
3. Erindale Cakery Bakery Erindale Cakery Bakery is a small, award-winning, family owned business that's definitely a favourite amongst Southsiders. Everything is made and baked in house. Christmas time is one of their busiest periods where you can find an amazing range of Christmas cakes and gingerbread houses. Erindale Cakery Bakery is located at the Erindale Shopping Centre, 50 Comrie Street, Wanniassa. Open Mon - Fri 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM; Saturday from 7:00 AM - 6:00 PM and Sunday from 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM.
Sweet Bones Bakery Cafe is a vegan café and bakery that sources as much local and organic ingredients as possible and most items can be made gluten free. They provide custom made cakes and cupcakes for all occasions. For more information on how to order a cake, please visit their website here. Sweet Bones is located at Shop 8, 18 Lonsdale Street, Braddon.
5. Italian Continental Bakery & Cafe The Italian Continental Bakery & Café has been specializing in authentic Italian cakes and pastries since 1987. Come and see their scrumptious range at Shop 1, Mawson Place, Mawson.
6. Via Dolce Canberra Via Dolce offers a mouth-watering, absolutely decadent selection of cakes for your special occasion. You'll find them at Garema Place, Canberra City. Open Monday to Sunday from 11am-11pm. For more information, please phone 6248 8660.
7. Chris' Patisserie and Bakehouse Chris' Patisserie & Bakehouse is a family business located in Weston. They offer a gorgeous selection of cakes, including specialty Yule log cakes and gingerbread houses for Christmas time. Come and visit Chris' Patisserie & Bakehouse at Unit 1, 22-47 Brierly Street, Weston Creek. Open Mon-Wed from 7am-4pm, Thurs-Fri from 7am-4pm and 5.30pm-9pm, Saturday from 8am-3pm and 5,30pm-9pm and Sunday from 8am-3pm.
Famous for their remarkable, intriguing, and absolutely creative range of cakes and pastries, Ricardo's is a popular Canberra favourite. You can order a birthday cake or other special occasion cake from the large range on display or have a special cake made to order. Ricardo's is located at Jamison Plaza, Bowman Street, Macquarie. For more information, please visit their website here. Or you can order your cakes online from Space Kitchen which is a venture of Ricardo's café and located in Woden.
9. Passiontree Velvet Passiontree Velvet café is located in the Canberra Centre. It offers a selection of indulgent, bespoke celebration cakes such as the Unicorn Magic cake below. You can order your cake online here, or visit the store and speak to one of their friendly staff. Passiontree Velvet is located at the Canberra Centre, Ground Level, 148 Bunda Street, Canberra. Open Mon-Sat 9am-5pm, and on Sundays from 9am-4.30pm.
10. Michel's For specialty and custom made cakes, and for that cake you need to get at the very last minute, Michel's has got you covered. You'll find a wide range of cakes for every occasion. Michel's Patisserie is located at Westfield Woden and Coolemon Court, Weston. Visit your nearest store to select your cake or check out their range online here.
The Cheesecake Shop has been baking and handcrafting cakes since 1991 and now has more than 200 bakeries across Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom. They offer a huge selection of ready-made cakes such as baked and continental cheesecakes, mudcakes, tortes and gateaux, as well as special celebration and party cakes. You'll find The Cheesecake Shop at Gungahlin, Belconnen, Dickson, Phillip and Erindale. Go hereto find out more.
For a delicious, inexpensive cake that can feed up to 48 people, you can't go better than Costco. You can pre-order themed cakes from a wide range of designs with a customised message or you can create own special message. At the time of writing, a Costco celebration cake costs $29.99. For more information, go here. Costco Canberra is located at 39-41 Mustang Avenue, Majura Park, Canberra Airport. Open Mon-Fri from 10am-8.30pm, Sat from 9.30am-6.30pm and Sun from 10am-6pm.
You can also go to Coles' Bakery department and find a selection of celebration cakes such as the pink vanilla drip cake below. It usually costs $25 but I found this one on the day before my son's birthday, reduced to $7. So of course I took it! And my son happily decorated the cake in his own way, complete with his toy dinosaurs.