Here are some tips for finding interesting and unusual gifts for people of all ages.
There are lots of great shops around that sell handmade or unusual gifts. These are often tucked away in suburban shopping areas only known to locals. All shops offer items from the inexpensive stocking stuffers to the more wallet challenging feature gifts.
1. Presents of Mind in Paddington where I just bought a colouring book for grown ups, a Go Sushi Card Game, a paper thin pen and I hear they are about to receive the fantastic Lego Mindstorm Robotics Kits.
2. Queensland Art Gallery (QAG), Gallery of Modern Art (GOMA) and Queensland State Library Stores at Southbank for books, calendars, jewellery, household items and all sorts of weird and wonderful things.
3.Artisan in Fortitude Valley for beautiful handcrafted jewellery, pottery, clothes, bags and more.
4. Handmade Highstreet in Annerley. This fabulous shop is closing in January as the owners are moving interstate so this is your last chance to buy their beautiful goods.
5. Dogstar Fashion, Latrobe Tce, Paddington for interesting brooches, pins and clothes
6. The Book Bank, Toowong now located at 48 Jephson St has a great assortment of secondhand books but also focuses on books written by local authors and books about Brisbane history. They also have cheap wrapping paper and cards.
7. Olive Woman in Latrobe Tce, Paddington for interesting kitchen gadgets such as the garlic peeler that looks like a giant piece of penne pasta, great cards, household items such as funky clocks, candles, pottery bowls and serving items as well as all sorts of fantastic tea infusers.
Try local markets or special Christmas markets such as:
1. Brisbane Visual Arts Community (BVAC) Markets, Mt Cootha Auditorium, 22-24th November
2. Brisbane Institute of Art (BIA) End of Year Exhibition, "Make Believe". Dec 5 - 10 at Windsor. Here you can buy paintings, sculptures and other creations by students.
Image Courtesy of BIA
3. The Queensland Spinners Weavers and Fibre Artists will host a Christmas Twilight Markets (Date TBA) following the success of their September market where I scored some beautiful hand dyed silk scarves and beautiful note books and cards made out of handmade paper. Find out more here
Make your own gifts. If you are at all crafty you can make your own gifts and guarantee that you give out unique and specially tailored presents.