My tasty wrap ingredients. Image by writer.
I have been searching the CBD for a healthy, alternative
lunch for awhile with limited success. I am a bit over the Food Courts
, the fast food giants
and the standard lunch places serving up rolls or sandwiches.
[ADVERT]Out of sheer desperation I decided to make my own lunch, from the following (reasonably) healthy and tasty ingredients:
1. Pitta bread
– less carbohydrates and healthier than white bread. I have found Mountain Bread quite good - made in Australia, quite thin, and comes in a few different types.
- I use as a spread as an alternative to butter. Made from chickpeas blended with tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and salt.
- good source of fibre, potassium, and vitamins C,K, B6 and folate. Also great on crumpets with Vegemite.
- rich in enzymes and antioxidants, which help fight free radicals in the body.
- I actually buy it raw in the shop, spray with some olive oil then bake it in the oven. One of the healthiest vegetables around.
- this adds some texture and gives the wrap some crunchiness. A deep-fried ball or patty made from ground chickpeas, fava beans or both, with cumin, coriander, parsley and garlic often added for flavour. You can buy from a gourmet food store, I use only one (costs about $2-3) cut into quarters.
7. Chick peas
- these are in the hummus and falafel anyway, but I add some straight out of the can for extra crunchiness.
8. Spinach leaves
- I use the flat-leaf type, a good source of iron, anti-oxidants, vitamin B6 and folate.
- A paste commonly added to Falafel made from ground, hulled sesame seeds used in North African, Greek, Turkish, and Middle Eastern cuisine.
10. Bean sprouts
- a legume, traditionally made from the green-capped mung-bean. Other common bean sprouts are the normally yellow, larger-grained soy-sprouts.
The spreads and pitta bread. Image by writer.
I sometimes add cheese and egg, but this is probably going a bit over the top. Warning: You may need to use two sheets of Mountain Bread, as wrap may not be structurally sound.
The benefits of beetroot. Image courtesy Raw For Beauty website.
Do you have a favourite healthy lunch or eatery? Please add a comment.