I am a world traveller & a mom of two, (8 & 6). I love to meet people, and am fascinated that there are 7 billion stories out there to be explored. I think Melbourne is the most happening city to live in with all the fun activities around town.
Published August 3rd 2013
Come for a visit, Stay for the pleasure
One of the fastest growing corridors of Melbourne is the South Eastern suburban area, the arterial Monash Freeway joining the two. Driving South on the Freeway, also known as M1, one of the major shopping malls one may encounter is the Chadstone.
One of the fountains at the entrance of Fountaingate
However, if you are venturing further south, you are in for a pleasant surprise when you reach Westfield Fountain Gate, in Narre Warren, which is the major shopping centre for the area and underwent major renovations recently. Here are some reasons which might motivate you to find this fabulous plaza:
1. Excellent shopping boutiques for men, women and children: Just like all great shopping plazas, there are over 300 boutiques for men, women and children, and other specialty stores, you are sure to find whatever you are looking for, or maybe you will be tempted to buy a great deal that catches your eye.
2. All the great department stores under one roof: Major retail stores such as Myer's, Target, Big W and KMart along with grocery stores such as Coles, Woolworth's and Aldi can all be found under one roof for the shoppers' convenience.
3. Great food: Whether you are looking for a quick bite to eat or a fancy dining experience, you will find something you like at Fountain Gate. There are two food courts with all major fast food outlets, and the plaza is interspersed with coffee shops and ice-cream parlours (including yo-get-it frozen yoghurt) throughout. For a bit of a fancy place, there is a whole range near the Village Cinema entrance from Thai to TGIF, there is bound to appeal to your palate.
A Few of the Many Places in Fountain Gate where you can sit down for a coffee or have a meal
4. All the services you can think of: From wheelchairs & stroller hire, to free balloons for kids, taxi service, courtesy bus, etc., Fountain Gate has it all covered. The Customer Service staff is friendly and helpful. There are two Service desks in the plaza, and numerous touch screen maps dispersed for visitors to catch their bearings. Restrooms and Parent's room are plentiful and always clean.
5. Events: Like all Westfield plazas, Fountain Gate has regular events and competitions sponsored for children and adults alike. The place comes alive especially during school holidays when children come in flocks to participate in special events.
Different Events are organised throughout the year at Fountain Gate
6. Children's Play areas: There is a beautiful play area in the main food court, which comprises of an indoor and an outdoor area, and is very popular with kids. Coined carousels and smaller play areas are a good place to wind down for the adults while the kids play. There is an outdoor spot as well with a main climbing feature for kids.
Funky Climbing Feature at one of the Children's Play areas (outdoors)
7. Interior Décor: Following the recent renovations, beautiful sofas and armchairs have been setup at various intervals throughout the plaza in a neat lounge setting, which add tremendously to the décor. The wall hangings are gorgeous and Fountain Gate invites displays of different exhibits as well.
8. Village Cinemas: The Cinemas are undergoing an upgrade due for completion early 2014. As of now, there are 10 screens comprising of over 2500 comfortable chairs with disability access and other facilities. 3D viewings are possible, and there are many special events and offers, worth checking on their website.
Village Cinemas at Fountain Gate
9. Accessibly by transport: There is ample car parking. The plaza is easily accessible by train at the Narre Warren station (Pakenham line) and by a network of buses which have a hub at Fountain Gate.
10. No Reason required at all: Who really needs a reason to visit a plaza as magnificent as the likes of Fountain Gate. It is highly unlikely that one can walk through the whole plaza in one visit, which is the best reason to keep coming back, again and again.
For more information (directions, opening hours, catalogue of stores, etc.), browse to their website. Share your comments here.