Subscribe      List an Event or Business      Invite a Writer      Write for WN      Writers      Other Locations      HubGarden      Recipes

We Are Your Friends - Film Review

Home > Everywhere > Theatre | Movie Reviews | Fun Things To Do | Film Reviews | Cinema
Published August 25th 2015
A hopeful DJ chasing his dreams in the competitive industry

"99% of the people in the world are looking for a party. The other 1% are the party". A line by one of the characters in the new release film We Are Your Friends sums up the dreams and aspirations of the title character Cole Carter (Zac Efron) as he tries to make it big in the DJing industry.

As the 23-year-old struggles to break out in the electronic house music scene, his well-intentioned but unsuccessful friends are unable to help him achieve stardom.

Cole meets a successful DJ named James (Wes Bentley) who becomes a close friend and mentor. He gives Cole advice and guidance and provides him with opportunities Cole could only dream of.

Despite his good fortune, Cole faces many hiccups along the way. He struggles with moral dilemmas involving money as well as the loss of a close friend. A love triangle between Cole, James and James' girlfriend Sophie (Emily Ratajkowski) also causes tension between Cole and James.

Featuring a soundtrack laden with popular electronic dance music songs and at times breaking the fourth wall to delve into the 'science' of house music, We Are Your Friends feels entertaining and informative at the same time.

Cole has many qualities which makes him a very "likeable" character. He is passionate, genuine and talented. His down to earth nature makes him easily relatable.

The visuals in the film were at times unusual and enticing. One of the scenes was transformed into an animation. The reasons for this could be interpreted a number of different ways. For me, it was the effect music has over our body. It allows us to move freely but also in sync with the people around us.

The dialogue was thoughtful and inspiring. "The moment before it all begins" was used a number of times throughout the film. Cole and his friends were referring to the excitement before a DJ gig which could potentially lead to the start of Cole's career. Just like the animation, it could have many different meanings. I felt I could relate to this through past experiences. The early stages of applying for a new job, moving house or meeting someone new are always the most exciting.

Having watched We Are Your Friends, I feel as though I have new found understanding and appreciation for the DJing industry. Overall a very engaging movie which conveys the powerful message of "follow your dreams".

Help us improve  Click here if you liked this article  13
*Amelia Polinelli was invited as a guest
Share: email  facebook  twitter
When:
Where: In cinemas from August 27
Your Comment
Articles from other cities
Popular Articles
Categories
Lists
Questions