In winter the days get shorter and the mornings get darker and drearier and it can be a real struggle to get out of bed. Catching those extra few minutes of sleep in the mornings is so tempting but not always a good idea, so here are a few tips to help you get a good nights sleep and jump out of bed in the mornings feeling refreshed.
1. Try to have a light dinner in the evenings at least 2 hours before you go to bed. Eating a large meal or rich, spicy and fatty foods before bed can stop you sleeping well as your digestive system is still working.
2. Don't nap in the afternoons. This will interrupt your normal sleep cycle and stop you getting the proper sleep you need. If you really have to take a nap take a power nap – no longer than 20 minutes.
3. If you have a busy mind or are worried about something it will stop you sleeping properly. Try writing down your worries or making a to-do list so that your mind is free and clear and you can relax.
4. Set a bed time and stick to it. Try to go to bed at the same time each night and get up at the same time each morning, even on weekends, get into a pattern and it will be easier to drift off.
5. Keep a bottle of water with you at all times and take small sips of water to keep you hydrated. You can have digestive problems or muscle and joint problems if you don't drink enough water and this can make it difficult to fall asleep.
6. Cut back on the caffeine. Having too many cups of coffee or tea can make you feel restless and keep you awake.
7. Have a nice warm bath or shower before bed. This will help you relax and it will be easier to fall asleep.
8. Don't exercise just before bed time. Exercise releases endorphins and you will be too wide awake to sleep.
9. Have a nice warm drink before bed. Warm milk or cocoa are nice and will help you relax, then you will find it easier to fall asleep.
10. Make sure your bed and pillows are comfortable. Keep your bedroom pleasant, use soft lighting and calm surroundings. Relax and get cosy and you will drift off in no time at all.
Top 5 Ways to Get Going in the Mornings.
Getting up on a winter morning is not easy and it is so tempting to stay in bed especially if it's cold and rainy. Here are a few tips to help you put a spring in your step in the mornings.
1. When you wake up in the mornings don't hit the snooze button. It makes you feel worse if you wake up and fall back to sleep again several times.
2. Jump into the shower to wake yourself up and get the blood pumping.
3. Have a cup of coffee to help wake you up but don't overdo it as too much caffeine can have the reverse effect.
4. Go for a run, do some easy exercises or even take the dog for a walk to get you going in the mornings.
5. Get some sunlight. Your body needs sunlight to know the difference between day and night. If you don't get enough sunlight it can leave you feeling tired and full of the 'winter blues'.
These are just a few tips to help you sleep well and wake up refreshed. Give them a try and beat the blues this winter.
I have been having serious issues with sleeping, as in - I haven't been able to sleep all of last week. This article gives me hope! Thank you so much for such a comprehensive and helpful read - I look forward to trying out all of these activities so I can get a solid 8-hour sleep! :))