Freelance writer exploring Melbourne and beyond. If you enjoy the following article click on the Like button, Facebook it to your friends or subscribe. I'll update you with yummy and often free events. Like my photos? I instagram @redbagwilltravel
If ever there was a year to celebrate Friday the 13th this is it. By a strange anomaly there are three Friday the 13ths this year -- all exactly 13 weeks apart. So if you failed to celebrate the first two, then this coming Friday the 13th will be your last chance. So here are, wait for it, 13 ways to celebrate.
1) Take the 4.5 kilometre stroll along Thirteenth Beach which is just west of Barwon Heads. The name is taken from the close proximity of the beach to the thirteenth hole of the Barwon Heads Golf Course. Given you are walking out on Friday the 13th watch out on one side for a tsunami and the other side for wayward golf balls.
2) Stay in a hotel with a 13th floor if you can find one. Traditionally hotels don't have one because people consider it unlucky to stay at that level. Conversely insurance companies do have a 13th floor something about saying there is no such thing as bad luck. Whichever lift you end up taking make sure you are carrying a charged mobile phone. You just could be unlucky enough to get stuck between floors.
3) Cook a traditional brodetto zuppa, a soup with thirteen types of fish in it. Make sure the fish is fresh. Nice folktale story behind this dish about a fisherman from Livorno who lost his life at sea in a shipwreck. Not so lucky for him. But when his children started to starve they asked their neighbours for food. Being a fishing village each gave them a different type of fish, which their mother then made into a huge soup, adding tomatoes, garlic, oil and slices of bread. For the recipe click here.
4) Follow this up with a thirteen ingredient chocolate decadence cake. For a recipe click here. If you are lucky you won't have a heart attack after this one.
5) Book a ghostly tour through the Haunted Book Shop. On these tours the number 13 is always cropping up. It seems most of Melbourne's most ghastly events take place at buildings numbered 13, or addresses where two numbers combined add up to thirteen (for example 67 Queen Street). If you do happen to live at a number thirteen I would also make sure you lock and bar your door this Friday.
Do a tour from the Haunted Bookshop
6) Take a drive out to Dunkeld where the much applauded chef at the Royal Mail Hotel creates 13 course degustation menus. For a description go to. . And they say that gluttony is a sin.
7) Have a movie night where all the films have 13 in the title. Of course Friday the 13th and its sequels are the obvious choices. But you could also watch 13 Moons an offbeat film about events during one full moonlit night, or George Clooney in the heist film Oceans 13 or even the suspense film 13 dead men. Important to have the right lollies for your movie marathon such as black cats (licorice ones rather than the one shown above).
8) Do a tour of the MCG and learn some of the infamous antics that have occurred at Bay 13. In the late 1980s, this is where crowd would mimic Merv Hughes when he practised his warm up stretches. It is always the bay that usually instigates the Mexican wave and the launching of the huge beach ball.
Part of the hooliganism at Bay 13 MCG
Tours of MCG
9) Get a Friday 13th tattoo. Some tattoo parlours offer special deals on this day. While it isn't $13 if does sometimes come down to $50 so have a ring around. If you are lucky you will find yourself a deal if you are unlucky you will get a tattooist that can't spell your girlfriend's name.
10) Hold a dinner part with thirteen people. Traditionally a bad number because of what happened to Jesus after the Last Supper. And this is where this whole superstition is said to come from. Somewhere in the evening and definitely after you have served the salmon mousse, show the following Monty Python clip.
11) Hold a card night and play the card game 13. Don't know how to play well click here. Bet on horse number 13, or play lotto where all the numbers add up to 13. Perhaps the odds will be in your favour given that superstitious people never bet on this day.
12) Read a book where the title has something to do with 13. Janet Evanovich's, Stephanie Plum novels are always fun so try Lean Mean Thirteen. Or how about 13 Tales of Being Thirteen or if you must Managment Techniques (13th edition. )
13) Head off on a 13 bar pub crawl and try to have a drink in each one. Suggest you walk or stagger for this one. Bonus points if you can get 12 of your friends to join you. Better still make that Irish pubs because you just might get lucky.
Whatever you do don't let the chance to do something special on Friday 13th slip by you and let us know if you come up with any other great idea, based on the number 13. I'm counting on you.