I am a primary school teacher that is very passionate about the arts and creativity. I enjoy writing about different events to show how people can make the most out of their life.
Published November 17th 2012
Jane Fresco/Wikimedia Commons
There are certain foods that increase your metabolism. When you eat these foods as part of a low fat diet and combine them with a regular exercise routine, they can help you move one step closer to your weight loss goals. Here are 9 foods that will speed up your metabolism and help you shed the pounds.
Studies indicate that eating grapefruit can reduce insulin levels. Lower insulin levels after meals can help your body process food more quickly and efficiently. This means that you burn more calories and store less fat.
2. Apples Like grapefruits, apples also lower insulin levels and take time to be broken down, which means that your metabolic rate is working faster.
3. Hot Peppers Adding some spice to your food can speed up your weight loss. Hot peppers, like jalapenos, contain a chemical called capsaicin, which gives these veggies their heat and causes a spike in your metabolism. This chemical also keeps the calorie burn going hours after you've finished your meal.
4. Low-Fat Yoghurt Low-fat yoghurt is one of the best foods to eat if you're trying to lose weight and boost your metabolism. Yoghurt is full of calcium and protein. It gives you the energy your body needs to keep going all day and helps you build lean muscle mass. Yoghurt can also help regulate your digestive tract.
5. Oatmeal If you're looking to jumpstart your metabolism, start your morning off with a bowl of oatmeal. This super food is rich in fat soluble fibre, which requires a lot of calories to break down. Eating oatmeal can also help decrease your cholesterol levels and reduce your risk of heart disease.
6. Green Tea The caffeine found in green tea accelerates your heart rate and speeds up your metabolism. The tea also contains a chemical, known as EGCG, that stimulates the nervous system and helps you to burn calories at a faster rate.
7. Lean Proteins
The protein found in chicken, turkey and other lean meats takes a great deal of energy to break down. Therefore, your body burns a lot of calories during the digestive process. Protein is also an essential ingredient in building lean muscle mass, which burns more calories than fat.
8. Salmon and Tuna High levels of the hormone leptin have been linked to slower metabolisms and weight gain. A good way to lower leptin levels is to increase your intake of fish. The oil found in fish like salmon and tuna has been shown to cut leptin levels and help your body process foods more effectively.
9. Broccoli Broccoli is rich in both calcium and vitamin C. These two vitamins work together to help you burn calories faster and more effectively. Calcium activates your metabolism, while vitamin C helps you absorb more calcium.
Almonds may be high in calories, but they are also jam packed with essential fatty acids which are great metabolism boosters.
Remember, the best way to lose weight is to combine a healthy diet with regular exercise. However, incorporating these metabolism friendly foods into a nutrient-rich diet will give your weight loss regime a boost and help you get closer to leaner, healthier you.
I more aware of vitamin C being a calcium inhibitor, not be to consumed at the same time as dairy. It is a very important antioxidant which enhances iron absorption which we know aids oxygen transport in our bodies. It also helps us heal faster, directly affects collagen (well know to be high in healthy skin) and is a natural antihistamine. Among other benefits. However, do not be fooled by packaged goods as a source, like long-life juice, for while it may have been added it may no longer be in there. Vitamin C degrades quickly when subjected to light and/or heat and over time. Also, it has a better affect on the body (than via tablet) when in combination with other antioxidants found in raw fruit and veg so eat that broccoli.
I would also like to suggest forgoing the tuna. All ocean fish life are storing Mercury from dumped human waste now which builds up in the carnivorous species like tuna, shark, swordfish etc to unsafe levels. Eat Salmon, sardines, herring... Fish which are small or have a high content of omega-3 which can act as an inhibitor.