There is something about Waverton that inspires a sense of the seaside town. It is possible that this is a misleading impression. With the HMAS Waterhen naval base and at just five minutes from the city, Waverton may enjoy the quiet lifestyle of an isolated hamlet, but it is hardly far from the action.
Waverton Park somehow combines that sense of tranquility and hustle that is characteristic of the suburb.
In 1944, 10 acres of land was set aside. It was the Hon. J.J. Cahill, Minister for Local Government, who presided over the original ceremony. In 1948, the stone Geraghty Gates were erected at the corner of Woolcott and Larkin Streets.
On the lowest level, there is a playing field for various sporting teams. The park itself borders Waverton Bowls Club and possesses all the expected amenities, including public restrooms and park benches.
On the upper tier, there is an enclosed area called Merrett Playground. The playground has a motoring theme, with a rocking car, tricycle track, and service station. The playground has a staggering view of Sydney Harbour and the CBD. Merrett Playground is also wheelchair accessible.