Village in the City Trail

Village in the City Trail


Posted 2024-05-19 by Audreyfollow
The Village in the City Trail is one of many walking and cycling trails within the city of Adelaide. It covers approximately 2.6 kilometres of the city's southeastern corner where people of all socioeconomic groups lived in the late 19th century.

Starting at the corner of Gilles Street and Vincent Street, you'll see how the middle class and workers lived. Mary-Anne Besley, mother of locally renowned Inspector Brian Besley, occupied the house and ran a shop at 366a-368 Gilles Street for many years. The property remained a shop until February 14th 1966 when Australians woke to decimal currency.

Mary-Anne Besley's shop

Charles Cawthorne was one of the first tenants in the row of houses at 334-338 Halifax Street which feature Victorian bay windows and Edwardian gable. In his lifetime, Cawthorne established a well-known musical firm, assisted in the formation of Adelaide Grand Orchestra and started Australian baritone singer Peter Dawson on his career.

Row of houses

As for the wealthy, they filled mansions along South and East Terraces. William Sanders, a partner in the Miller Anderson store, lived in one of the first mansions built in this area. Waverly was completed in 1865 and has a neo-Gothic design. It now forms part of St Andrew's Hospital.


Edward Wright Junior is believed to have lived at 378 South Terrace. The house displays a white plastered portico similar to that of Ayers House.

Edward Wright Junior's house

At the corner of South Terrace and East Terrace is where well-known pastoralist John Rounsevell erected his mansion in 1882. Ochiltree was one of the area's most flamboyant mansions. Its entrance has been highlighted by the balcony/verandah and French-influenced mansard roof. For those who are not aware, Rounsevell's coaching business was the principal operation in South Australia and carried almost all the province's mail.


Charles Hornabrook, the licensee of York Hotel, built the Gothic-influenced Eothen in 1891 before furniture emporium proprietor Malcolm Reid and Adelaide mayor Sir John Lavington Bonython occupied it. Bonython re-named the mansion St Corantyn.


Sir William Henry Bragg called the Edwardian residence at 207-210 East Terrace home for nine years. He undertook experiments in X-rays while his son Lawrence completed tertiary education. They eventually became joint recipients of the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1915.

Sir William Henry Bragg's residence

The Honourable Alexander Hay lived in Craigweil and enjoyed a full life in pastoral pursuits, general business, philanthropic work and public affairs. He died as an esteemed citizen of Adelaide. The fashionable dwelling was built in 1886.


Last but not least, AHC Jensen built his strikingly grand residence at the corner of East Terrace and Wakefield Street in 1896. Weeroni has substantial bay windows, gabled roofing and well-executed stucco work among other features.

Many more built heritage can be found along this trail. For the full path map and information, head to .


286250 - 2024-05-18 12:06:24


Copyright 2024 OatLabs ABN 18113479226