A retired business owner, my passions are cooking, photography and eating. I use all three of these when I write for recipeyum.com.au which is on HubGarden
Published February 28th 2018
Many of us have turned to vegetarian and some to vegan eating. They supposedly have health benefits, and for those who are either of these, or wish to become either a vegetarian or a vegan, this is a list of some of the events for the month of March, 2018.
1. CHEAP VEGAN CHEWSDAY This will be held on Tuesday 6th March from 6 pm to 9 pm, and every following Tuesday. It is run by "MeetUp" and each week they visit a different vegan food cafe where you can get dinner for less than $15.
You will need to join Meetup to get the details, and this is free and you are under no obligation.
2. VEGAN VEGOUT - AN EVENING OF VEGAN AND VEGETARIAN FOOD This will be held on 7th March from 5 pm to 9.30 pm at Thornbury, 520 High St, Northcote.
3. PLANT BASED MID WEEK COOKING CLASSES This will be on Thursday 8th March from 6.30 pm to 8.30 pm and cost is $60. It will be held at The Beet Retreat, Smiths Gully, and The Beet Retreat is a local Bed and Breakfast.
There will only be 8 people in this class and it will be fun and informative. You will learn how to cook with mostly organic and unrefined/unprocessed foods. You will then go on to eat the meals you make! For more information, go to this site.
4. BEIN' GREEN IN BENDIGO FESTIVAL 2018 This 2018 Victorian Labour Day Weekend treat yourself to a weekend of green discovery in Bendigo! It will be on from 10th March to 12th March.
You can go on tours with fellow Bendigo Greens members, and there will be heaps to do at this festival, including vegan cooking lessons and feasts
5. VEGAN DAY OUT IN MELBOURNE
For this one weekend only, certain cafes and businesses in Fitzroy will be slashing prices, giving away samples and putting special vegan dishes on the menu for the Vegan Day Out.
There will be "meal deals for two", food sampling, cheaper vegan groceries and much more.
This will be run by the Cruelty-Free Shop who will have discounts right through their shop, and it will be held at The Cruelty Free Shop, 124 Johnston St, Fitzroy on Saturday 10th March from 9 am to 6 pm, and Sunday 11th from 10 am to 5 pm. You can get more information here.
6. WHA ME EAT WEDNESDAY WITH MACKA B
Here you will have an evening meal with Macka B and his Roots Ragga Band, and this dinner will be a 3 course vegan/vegetarian meal.
You will meet the man behind the "Cucumba" song. As tickets are limited, make sure you book as soon as possible here.
Included in the price is morning tea, vegetarian lunch and afternoon tea, and there is a maximum of six in this class. For bookings, go to this site.
8. VEGAN ITALIAN COOKING CLASSES FOR WOMEN
Have you ever wondered what vegan food is actually about? If so, here is your chance to learn Italian vegan cooking!
This will be a 5 hour lesson in the Dandenong Ranges with a fun hands-on class which will teach you how to make mouthwatering Italian food, with hints and secrets for delicious vegan recipes.
This will be held on Saturday 17th March from 11 am to 4 pm at Menzies Creek, and you can find out more and book at the Road Not Taken site.
9. VEGAN DOWN SOUTH
The B.East is throwing a vegan southern-fried home cooking event for the Melbourne Food and Wine Festival 2018, with a southern-style vegan spread designed to share.
Here you will be able to have vegan fried chicken, smoked vegan BBQ ribs, chicken fried steaks, red beans and rice, and hot buttered rolls with all the trimmings. After this feast, you can have some decadent southern sweets, including smokey chocolate caramel pies and vegan ice cream.
To find out more, go to their Facebook page. It will be held on Saturday 17th March from 12 noon, at The B.East, 80 Lygon Street, Brunswick East.
10. THAI VEGAN DINNER
This will be held on 21st March, from 7 pm to 10 pm, at BangPop, 35 South Wharf Promenade, South Wharf.
BangPop will present a 6 course vegan Thai Dinner which will offer clean, gluten-free, plant-based food, including dishes like fragrant Thai curries, betel leaves, and delicious Thai desserts.
A great vegan dining experience coupled with wonderful wine pairings, this will cost just $85 or $114 with wine.