Writer/Blogger, aspiring published author
Can usually be found on the floor with my two boys laughing, photographing something or dragging home furniture to up cycle.
Published November 14th 2012
One of the best things you can have in your cupboard is a box or two of bicarbonate of soda, which for the purposes of this article I will call BOS for short.
All of us are struggling one way or another. Trying to make each dollar go further and further. Having BOS in your supplies will help you do just that. Considering it is $2.35 or less depending on the brand you choose it will end up being one of the cheapest most versatile products you could ever use. The other great thing about it is that it makes a great alternative to most expensive household chemicals and is safe to use around children and pets
I have included a list things that BOS can be used for:
1. Reduce acidity in some recipes. For those that have an intolerance to acids in their foods eg pasta tomato sauce, adding a bit of BOS will help reduce some of that acid
2. Fluff up your omelettes by adding ½ teaspoon of BOS to every three eggs
3. Adding BOS to baked beans will significantly reduce its gas affecting properties post consumption.
4. Clear a blocked drain using equal parts vinegar and BOS and heating. Pour down the drain.
5. Put a container without a lid of BOS in your fridge to soak up any bad smells and odour.
6. Keep bin smells at bay by washing the bin with a damp sponge with a sprinkling of BOS on it and also adding a sprinkle to the bottom of the bin before you put the new liner in.
7. Clean the loo without chemicals by dropping half a box of BOS into bowl and leave overnight and then flush a few times in the morning. Your toilet bowl will be clean , odourless and chemical free.
8. Deodorise fake lawn that have had pets on it. Use a icing sugar duster to sprinkle the area of grass. Then hose it in using a shower setting on the hose. It will do an even better job if you use a high pressure hose. We used this technique in a boarding kennel I used to work in and customers always commented on how despite the amount of dogs we had there was no doggy smell.
9. Make water colour paints for the kids by mixing 3 tablespoons each of BOS, cornflour and vinegar with 1 ½ teaspoons of light corn syrup. Divide the mixture into small cups or drinik bottle lids and add a about 8 drops of food colouring to it and voila! You can use them instantly or wait for them to harden and use with a wet brush.
10. Keep BOS handy if you have a chucky baby. Wiping the vomit of the item of clothing and then dabbing with BOS on a damp sponge removes the stain and odour instantly.
11. Nappy rash is also helped by mixing a few tablespoons into their bath water.
12. Use to cool sunburn by mixing 4 tablespoons of BOS to one cup and soak some cotton pads and apply to skin.
13. Stop itchiness in a plaster cast by using a hairdryer to blow BOS down into the cast
14. Use as a deodorant. Yes we are all creatures of habit to some degree but there are those days when you run out of your favourite deodorant and are unable to get to the shops in time. Use BOS under your arms to assist with odour control.
15. Add half a cup of BOS to your washing machine along with your usual detergent. It will make your clothes whiter and brighter.
Of course there are so many more uses for this amazing product get on [I]Google[/I] and see what else you can find. Just with the list I have provided here we have replaced aloe- vera gel, many cleaning products, air deodorisers and potentially the cost of a plumber. While saving money it is also important to say that using a product like Bicarbonate of Soda, we are also helping the environment by not flushing toxic chemicals into our drains or risking our own health inhaling it into our lungs.
BOS is only one of many cheap natural products you can use in the home. Other basic products include vinegar, various essential oils and newspaper. There really is no need to buy anything that contains harsh chemicals.
So many uses to try to remember. I don't know how the chemistry reaction works, but I've baked vegan cakes (no dairy produced and no eggs) with bicarb. You have to put the tin in the oven immediately or the magic goes away.
I clean my silver with BOS. Plastic bucket lined with silver foil, put silver in, add hot water and then sprinkle lots of BOS over, fold silver foil over the top of the silver. Leave for about 20 mins. Silver is beautifully cleaned. Saves time and all that rubbing with Silvo ...
you forgot to also add on list that bicarb soda is great for cleaning burnt bits out of saucepans..you just boil a little water in the saucepan and add bicarb soda and the burn bits come off gradually..or wipes off easier...
It doesn't just act as a deodorant, it also washes your hair. You can reduce your toxicity from chemical products and reduce your plastic waste (which is also toxic) by having a small tin with a pouf for BO and rinse your hair with it too. You may be surprised at the result using it against greasy hair and sensitive skin (also acne) as opposed to commercial products. Also, no interference with a perfume you may like when going out.