A freelance writer living in Perth, WA. My blog is coming soon. Watch this space!
Published April 26th 2013
You know, besides drinking it
Vodka is one of the most popular spirits, it can be used in cocktails or mixed with soft drinks but is also enjoyed 'neat'. Vodka was used in olden days for its medicinal applications, it makes a great anesthetic, disinfectant and it kills bacteria, but there are many more unusual uses for vodka.
Vodka - Wikimedia Commons
1. Cold Pack. Combine equal parts of vodka and water in a sealable freezer bag. Leave in the freezer and use as an ice-pack for bumps, bruises and other injuries.
2. Toothache. If you have a toothache, rinse your mouth out with vodka, holding the vodka on the sore tooth for a few moments, then spit the vodka out. The vodka will kill bacteria and work as an anesthetic on the sore tooth.
3. Astringent. Put some vodka on a cottonwool ball and use as a facial astringent to clean and tighten pores.
4. Cold Sores. Put a little vodka on a cottonwool ball and dab onto cold sores. It will kill the bacteria and dry the cold sores out.
5. Jellyfish Stings. If you are unlucky enough to get stung by a jellyfish, dab some vodka on it. It will disinfect the area and sooth some of the sting.
6. Mouth Wash. Add a little peppermint or spearmint oil to vodka and let it sit for two weeks, Use as a mouth wash to rinse your mouth. The vodka will kill bacteria, but remember to spit it out.
7. Keep Flowers Fresh. To deep fresh flowers looking good add a teaspoon of vodka and a teaspoon of sugar to the water. The vodka will kill bacteria and the sugar will provide nutrients to the flowers.
8. Cleaning. Dilute vodka with water to make a great cleaning solution. The solution is great on chrome, porcelain and glass, it will leave your windows streak free and your sinks and fixtures shiny clean. Spritz vodka onto mould, leave to sit for about fifteen minutes, then easily scrub the mould away.
9. Shoes. Spray smelly shoes with a mist of vodka after wearing to cut down the smell. Soak your feet in a vodka and water solution to remove odours.
10. Hair Care. If you suffer from dandruff or a dry scalp rinse your hair with a vodka solution. Mix a cup of vodka with two teaspoons of rosemary and leave to sit for two days. Strain the solution and use as a rinse to remove shampoo build up and dandruff. Add a little vodka to your shampoo for smooth shiny hair.
11. Hand Sanitizer. Vodka naturally kills bacteria so it makes a great hand sanitizer. Put some in a small spray bottle and sptitz your hands whenever you need to.
These are just some of the unusual uses for vodka and there are many more. Vodka is an alcoholic solution, so be a little bit careful how you use it. It is always best to do a test area first just in case of an adverse reaction.
Remember that vodka is an alcoholic drink and should only be taken in moderation.