Called "white gold' by the British colonists, sugar has won many a heart with its sugary sweetness. Over the years, sugar has made itself an indispensable member of our diet, pantry and everyday food items. Cakes, cokes and curries, sugar can be found almost everywhere. But why confine the usage of sugar to cooking or food when sugar can also be put towards several other uses. Read on to find out some of the most unusual uses of sugar.
1. If that hot curry proved to be hotter than anticipated or the splash of spices just exceeded your endurance threshold and your mouth appears to be on fire then obtain instant relief by chewing on half a teaspoon of sugar.
2. Make a terrific face scrub by blending one tablespoon of olive oil with half a tablespoon of sugar. Scrub this mixture into your face and then rinse off with warm water. Enjoy clean and silky soft skin in no time.
3. Add a tablespoon of sugar to the water in a flower vase. The sugar will dissolve in the water and nourish the flowers. Introducing a tablespoon of vinegar to the water will inhibit the growth of mould and bacteria and will reduce the spreading of bad smell from the water.
4. If you have dirty or greasy hands, you can clean your hands by rubbing sugar all over your hands. Sugar is abrasive and therefore, can clean well.
5. While struggling with a coal or wood fire, throw in a handful of sugar. The sugar will ignite the fire and will assist the fire in continuing.
6. To prolong the life of stored cake, add a few ice cubes to an airtight container where the cake is kept. This will extend the cake shelf life.
7. To keep biscuits or cookies fresh, put a few sugar lumps in the bottom of the container. The lumps will absorb the moisture and contribute towards the prolonged freshness of the biscuits or cookies.
8. If you burn your tongue while devouring a sizzling pizza or gulping down piping hot coffee, then extend your hand for the sugar tin. Suck on a sugar cube or chew on half a teaspoon of sugar to soothe the burning tongue.
9. Make a splendid body scrub by mixing sugar with almond oil and rubbing it gently all over the body. Wash off in the shower. Feel the butter soft skin with pride.
10. Preserve cheese with sugar cubes to prevent the cheese from moulding easily.
11. Make your lips extremely kissable by rubbing them with a mixture of caster sugar and jojoba oil or olive oil. Massage the mixture into your lips and then wash off to discover non-flaky, soft and supple lips.
12. A fabulous banana sugar scrub can do wonders for your skin. Mash a ripe banana and mix it with 3 tablespoons of sugar and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Gently rub into your skin and rinse off later to obtain silky smooth, super clean skin.
13. If your home is being raided by cockroaches then kill off the pests by making a simple solution of baking soda and sugar and spreading it all over suspected breeding areas. Sugar will attract the cockroaches and the baking soda will kill them.