For many people, dental floss is a helpful friend which regularly aids in removing food particles from the teeth therefore, cleaning both the teeth and the mouth and keeping decay at bay. Minty fresh breath and sparkly pearly whites are some of the other benefits of flossing daily. I even carry a dental floss in my bag to quickly dash to the bathroom and clean the teeth, should the need arise after a delectable lunch or dinner.
Despite being very light and thin, dental floss is stronger than string or thread due to the fact that floss is often made with nylon or Teflon fibres. Apart from being an excellent friend to the gum and teeth, dental floss can utilised in myriads of ways. Here are some simple unusual and amazing uses of dental floss, cherry-picked from the numerous alternative uses.
1. A knife – Dental floss can be used to substitute a knife while cutting a cake. Wrap a length of dental floss around one finger on each hand and proceed to cut perfect cake slices. You can adopt this approach to cut any delicate food item including jelly, fruits, cheese and hard-boiled eggs.
2. A wrap – Dental floss can be easily used to wrap a bundle of mails or cards or even packages and gifts. This method is durable and cheap.
3. Fishing line – When you go fishing it is quite likely that you may break your fishing line. If the supply of extra fishing line proves to be sparse, you can opt for dental floss which will make a strong fishing line.
4. Hang things – You can make great savings by fishing out the dental floss form your bag and using it to hang small things around the house. Dental floss can be a sturdy choice for hanging Christmas ornaments, small pictures, wall decorations, practically anything that is small and light. This unique way of hanging things can also earn you a compliment or two from family and friends.
5. Shoe lace- Replace worn out and broken shoe lace with a length of dental floss. It is cheap and quite inconspicuous.
6. Sew buttons – Dental floss is sturdy and can be easily used to replace thread in sewing buttons or hooks and patching holes in clothes or repairing backpacks.
7. Hair band – You will not be unfamiliar with situations where turning the house upside down fails to reveal a single hair band. In such times of need, tie your ponytail with the floss.
8. Support climbing plants – Various garden plants like tomatoes and strawberries require some scaffolding in order to grow properly. Use dental floss to create a simple trellis by tying floss in a ladder pattern. This will provide requisite support to the young climbing plants.
9. Art and craft – Let your creativity shine by making jewellery like bracelets and necklaces using dental floss as a string while awe-inspiring collages can be created by arranging the floss to form letters and objects.
10. Chew toy for dogs – Create nice dog toys by using dental floss which will also contribute towards ensuring good dental hygiene for your dogs. Create a bone-shaped toy by tying several rolls of dental floss together and give it to your dog to play with. Regular biting of the toy will give your beloved pet shiny white fangs.
What is your tip for an unusual usage of dental floss?
I would urge people to be careful if making a dog or cat toy using dental floss. If swallowed it could be detrimental to their health. Many years ago when I was a vet nurse we treated a cat that was very ill - with investigation/tests it was revealed it has swallowed dental floss and caused all sorts of problems.