Salt is one of the cheapest and most amazing household items you can have. While I would never encourage you to rub it in a wound, here are some ways you can use it around your house, and make life a little more sweet (well, salty, actually).
Image by Christian Mertes, Wikimedia Commons
1. To remove red wine stains, simply pour a little white wine on top (to help dissolve the colour), and wash away, then sprinkle salt on top, leaving on for 10-15 minutes. Afterwards, vacuum up the salt. Your stain should be history now.
2. To clean a coffee pot, just cover the bottom in salt and ice cubes – together they will loosen up any coffee stains, and make it easier to rinse out.
3. To clean sink drains, regularly pour salty hot water down the drain, as this will stop grease from accumulating as well as killing the bacteria behind any unpleasant odours.
Image by Garitzko, Wikimedia Commons
4. To disinfect and soothe a sore throat, regularly gargle warm salt water, and it will provide temporary relief.
5. To shell nuts (such as walnuts), soak them in salt water for at least two hours to remove the skin more easily.
These are just a few ways you can use salt around the house – give them a go, and see how they work for you!