A freelance writer living in Perth, WA. My blog is coming soon. Watch this space!
Published January 25th 2013
Loads of fun for the whole family
If you're thinking of taking a short break or holiday, then the South West of Western Australia has plenty to offer you. A region full of diversity with a spectacular coastline, this unique area is the perfect holiday destination for the whole family. Best of all there are loads of things for the kids, and families, to do while you are there.
1. Visit Gnomesville. Situated in the Ferguson Valley of Dardanup, Gnomesville is home to over three thousand gnomes. Kids and adults alike will have a great time here in this Gnome community. Bring along your own Gnome and add it to the collection.
2. Climb the Lighthouse. Climb right to the top of the lighthouses at either Cape Leeuwin or Cape Naturaliste. The view is breathtaking.
3. Pick Fruit. Take some time to stop in Harvey and pick your own juicy oranges or taste the delicious fresh orange juice. Over in Donnybrook you can pick fresh apples and stone fruit.
4. Play in the Maze. Have hours of fun in one of the fantastic mazes located down south - it might take you a while to find the way out. Try the Giant Hedge Maze in Margaret River or the Mythic Maze near Busselton.
5. Train Ride. Take a train ride along Busselton Jetty. It's the longest Jetty in the Southern Hemisphere and leads to the spectacular Underwater Observatory.
6. Cave Tours. Take a guided tour of discovery and find an underground wonderland. There are several caves that offer guided tours, try Mammoth Cave, Lake Cave, Jewell Cave and Moondyne Cave for an unforgettable experience.
7. Meet the Dolphins. Visit the Dolphin Discovery Centre in Bunbury and learn all about Dolphins. Get up close or take a Dolphin Cruise.
8. Taste Sensations. This region is famous for its tasty produce so try some of the yummy chocolate, fudge, toffee and ice-cream. Visit the Margaret River Chocolate Company, the Candy Cow or Millers Ice Cream in Cowaramup, The Margaret River Fudge Factory or the Margaret River Nougat Company - all of these places have tours and tastings.
10. On the Beach. Spend some time on one of the many wonderful beaches in this region. Laze in the sun, build sand castles, walk along the beach, play games or take a dip - you will find beautiful white sands and calm blue ocean in Bunbury, Busselton, Dunsborough, Augusta, Albany, Denmark and Margaret River. If you are a bit more adventurous have a go at surfing, canoeing or kayaking.
These are just some of the great things to do, with kids, in the South West. There are plenty of low cost or free activity options, something for everyone, and sure to make each day as jam packed or as relaxed as you want it to be.