Alas, I fought my cold heart and won, so I have put together 10 ideas that won't blow the bank and will get you some brownie points (without having to pass the sick bag!)
Talking about brownies….
1. Heart-Shaped Chocolate Brownies All you need to buy is a love heart shaped cutter, brownie mix and a baking tin. Aspiring bakers out there can do this from scratch, however I am more of a 'add one egg to pre made mix' kinda gal. It's easy, time friendly, and your other half need never know.
2. Love Letters Not an email and not a text. A real life hand-written love letter. Tell your loved one how wonderful they are. This is a first-class surprise, sure to crack a smile and earn you some (love heart) brownie points.
3. Jam Jar Gifts
Wash out an old jam jar and fill it with something cute, such as heart shaped cookies, some flowers or slot a photo of the two of you inside it and tie a piece of lace or ribbon around the top.
4. The Classic Picnic You can do this indoors or outdoors. Simply get a picnic blanket or whatever blanket you may have at home and prepare it with flowers, candles and finger food. Accompany with your drink of choice, make sure the lights are low, sit back and enjoy each other's company.
5. Treasure Hunt
Get home early from work and leave little notes - treasure hunt style, for your partner to follow. Have them find you in the garden or across in the park with a bottle of wine. This is simple, fun and romantic.
6. Steamy Messages
If you leave the house first, write a love note on the mirror for your partner to find, which he/she will see, once they have had their shower and steamed up the bathroom. This is a cheap and very thoughtful idea, guaranteed to make everyone smile.
7. How Do I Love Thee ... Let Me Count The Ways…
Do we all the know the poem by Elizabeth Barrett Browning? It is my inspiration for number seven. Write a list of all the reasons why you love your partner. Put it in an envelope and slip it in their pocket before they go to work. A Valentine's surprise.
8. On your bike
Honestly, there is nothing more romantic than getting fit, whilst trying to woo your love. Hop on your bikes, or if you don't have one you can very easily borrow one here. Cycle to the ice-cream shop, get an ice-cream and head to a park with a lake. Dangle your feet in the water, whilst eating ice-cream and tell each other you love one another and laugh.
9. Do It The Old Fashioned Way
Plan a date, get ready separately and head to the movies. Hold hands, giggle and share popcorn. It's sure to bring up feelings of when you first met and be a fun way to spend Valentine's Day. There are a couple of romance themed releases currently screening;
10. A Mix Tape
Ok, I'm sorry. I know I started with promises of a vomit free list - but I got so caught up in the romance of the situation and all my cold feelings of this being a Hallmark holiday, have simply disappeared. So, I thought what better way to end the list than with a mix tape! Alternatively, buy your loved one an ipod mini (it's the cheapest of them all) ,and fill it up with their favourite music!
Above all, have fun and just celebrate all the reasons why you love each other.