Write because you want to, not because you have to.
Published November 11th 2015
Melbourne is a beautiful city that has a lot of gems hidden within its highly metropolitan lifestyle. There is so much that this beautiful Australian city has to offer to its locals and tourists alike.
Eureka Skydeck, Melbourne
Having recently had a spontaneous weekend getaway to my favourite Australian city, here are some things that are highly recommended for the travel bug in you to make the most of your stay in Melbourne:
1. For those with a knack to explore - catch a train to Flinders Street Station This is the central point of a number of iconic landmarks of Melbourne, including (but not limited to) St. Pauls Cathedral, Federation Square, Yarra River, and the National Gallery of Victoria.
2. For the nature lovers - visit the penguins at St. Kilda Pier You may get lucky and get to hang around some cute baby penguins, who tend to come out during this time and chill around with the public till about 9pm.
St. Kilda Pier, Melbourne
3. For the shopaholics - two words: Melbourne Central This is the central hub that is aptly located in the city. Melbourne Central has a multitude of services to offer and is generally a beautifully sculpted establishment that is worthy of a visit or five from the tourists and locals alike.
The Melbourne Cone, Melbourne Central
4. For the crazy, spontaneous or adventurous types - get a tattoo Sure, you want to be 100% certain on what design you're after and where you'd want to get your tattoo. However, if you're like me and fly into Melbourne to head straight to a tattoo parlour for an appointment (which would be handy to organise a couple of days in advance), then getting a tattoo could be something worth looking into. However, I'd recommend getting it done at the end of your trip, so that you're not crippled and/or in pain for the rest of your trip.
A personal tattoo from the Black Mark, Westgarth (Melbourne)
5. For the spiritual kinds - head over to the National Gallery of Victoria
This is a fantastic location for tourists to 'get lost' among some of the most intricate and exquisite forms of art from Europe, Asia, America and Oceania. There is also a room where stained glass practically makes up for the ceiling. If you're feeling exhausted or tired, this room is perfect for laying down and admiring the colours that make up the roof of this dwelling.
Water wall, NGV (Melbourne)
6. For the foodies - Southgate restaurants and bars are ace!
Considering how some of the most-visited locations in Melbourne are basically scattered around the area of Southgate, it makes logical sense to grab a bite and stock up on some energy for all the touristy-things that await you. Plus, the view from the restaurant is well worth the wait / money for dining at places around Southgate.
Yarra River, Southgate
7. For the forever artsy individuals - Hosier Lane and ACDC Lanes
These lanes will become your new favourite hangout spots!
Hidden gem on ACDC Lane, Melbourne
Offering a colourful array of graffiti that has found its place in the heart of Melbourne, these lanes are bound to leave you feeling fantastic and breathless.
Hosier Lane - where the bins are prettified as much as the walls!
8. For the one who's looking for some tranquility - The Shrine of Remembrance
This is a brilliant location that is oozing with historical beauty and meaning. Honouring the fallen and appreciating all the hard work that was put in to make our land what it is today is a great way to immerse yourself within the culture of Melbourne (and Australia) in all its glory.
The view of Melbourne from the Shrine of Remembrance
9. For the ultra chill - laying on the grass at Edinburgh Gardens
This is an awesome location to have some me-time, where you can choose to read a book or have a nap or people-watch. No matter what you do, you'll have the perfect balance of privacy and socialization, sunshine and shade, and overall peace.
Beautiful sunshine in Melbourne
10. For everyone - appreciate the beauty around you!
You can't go wrong in this gorgeous city. Look around, make the most of Melbourne and don't forget to enjoy the little things that make this city uniquely attractive!