A retired business owner, my passions are cooking, photography and eating. I use all three of these when I write for recipeyum.com.au which is on HubGarden
Published April 8th 2018
Have a great time for the whole family at these Events
There are many interesting multicultural festivals happening in the next few months around Melbourne and this is a list of some of them.
1. JAPAN MATSURI - JAPANEASY 10TH BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION This will be held at 126-128 Russell Street, Melbourne on Sunday 15th April 2018 from noon to 4.00 pm and it is a free event.
Japaneasy will mark its 10th anniversary this month, so they are putting on a celebration! This will be for the whole family with all sorts of fun Japanese activities and performances, including performances by George Kamikawa, Japanese drums, Japanese dance, Okinawan music, and a choir.
There will also be a tea ceremony experience, workshops for Sumie, origami, kirigami and calligraphy, craft markets, Japanese lessons and story-time for children. You can find out more at their website.
2. NIGHT MARKET 2018: NEON LIGHT The University of Melbourne's largest student-run event of the year is coming back this April with this Night Market on 19th April from 6 pm to 10 pm.
The one-night-only, FREE festival features a variety of authentic food from cultures around Asia. From Burmese coconut noodles to Japanese yakisoba, you will be amazed at the variety and quality of this cultural gastronomy.
You can wander around the campus and check out the haunted house, carnival games, or merely check out the array of handicrafts and trinkets on sale. Performances from student bands and local artists will also be on during the night.
This will be held at the Uni of Melbourne, 230 Grattan Street,
Parkville, on the Concrete Lawn, North Court, Members Lounge. You can find out more at their Facebook page.
3. MELBOURNE'S RUSSIAN FESTIVAL This will be a fantastic Festival for the whole family and it is being held on 21st April, 2018. You can read all about it in this article.
4. FAIR@SQUARE ETHICAL LIFESTYLE FESTIVAL Moral Fairground will be hosting the Fair@Square Ethical Lifestyle Festival for its ninth year at Federation Square. Here there will be live cooking shows, free sustainable lifestyle workshops, fashion programmes and talks, children's activities, music, shopping and more.
It will be held on the corner of Swanston & Flinders Streets, Melbourne, along Swanston Street and River Terrace on 5th May, 2018 from 11 am to 9 pm, and it is a free event.
For more information and to find out the programme for this event, click on this link.
5. TASTE OF MALAYSIA
Taste of Malaysia is a showcase of Malaysian art, history, cuisine, culture, apparel and performance in the form of a bazaar, and reinforcing the Malaysian culture that is ingrained in Malaysians residing in Australia.
There will be homemade delicacies, as well as fun traditional games, and it will be an event for the whole family.
This event will be on at the Drill Hall, Multicultural Hub, 26 Therry Street, Melbourne on Saturday 5th and Sunday 6th May, 2018. It will be held on Saturday from 10.00 am to 3.00 pm, and 10.00 am to 6.00 pm on the Sunday.
For more information you can either email: email@example.com or you can register at this link.
6. Philippine Street Festival
The Philippine Street Festival will be held at Queen Victoria Market and showcase authentic Philippine food, as well as dishes influenced by the Spanish Colonial era. There will also be games and activities for the whole family, including a street parade, fashion show and lots of Filipino cultural entertainment.
Also featuring on the programme will be a "Food Eating Competition" from Philippine's most loved authentic dishes.
This will be on Saturday 19th and Sunday 20th May, from 9 am to 3 pm on Saturday and 9 am to 4 pm on Sunday, and it is a free event.
7. TURBAN FEST
At the Turban Fest, there will be vibrant Bhangra dances, turban tying, Sikh martial arts, and more.
This free event will be both colourful, and bold, and will also feature Bollywood dances to keep you entertained. You will be able to have a turban crown tied to your whole family and have a photo taken!