A retired business owner, my passions are cooking, photography and eating. I use all three of these when I write for recipeyum.com.au which is on HubGarden
Published June 15th 2018
Attend any of these events - some are free
South Perth is a "handy" suburb, no matter where you live in Perth. It is a bustling area, full of life, cafes and people. This list will give you some options on what to do in South Perth.
1. Mind Lounge: Paper Cutting Mind Lounge is a free daytime series for adults presented by the South Perth Libraries. An opportunity to learn a craft or have a go at something creative. You could discover a new game, or try out something new in a fun workshop.
The activities are designed to entertain and relax. They are facilitated by an experienced artist, teacher or community worker. For this event, join facilitator Tusif Ahmad for 2 hours of creative fun. There are no expectations, no pressure, just space to relax and enjoy some "arty" timeout.
The art of paper cutting involves the artist cutting a whole painting from a single piece of paper resulting in an intricate and fragile piece of art. Tusif will show you the basic paper cutting techniques and share some trade secrets. You will design brand new drawings and will be given ideas on how you can then transform it into your own lace-like paper cut pieces!
Tusif Ahmad is a paper cutting artist, jewellery designer, software developer and palmist who has spent years travelling, exhibiting and working all over the world.
It will be held at the South Perth Library, Cnr Sandgate St & South Terrace, on 3rd July, from 1 pm to 3 pm.
Cost of materials is $10 (cash), and bookings are essential and can be made here.
2. NAIDOC Week 2018 NAIDOC Week is an opportunity for all Australians to celebrate the rich history, culture and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. The City will celebrate NAIDOC Week from 8th to 15th July, by partnering with community organisations and local Noongar community members to host a series of events. These events will include a flag raising ceremony and kids crafts. To find out more about NAIDOC Week, you can check out my NAIDOC article.
During this week, Manning Library will be housing an Aboriginal history display. The display will feature traditional Aboriginal dresses and art. The Manning Library is at the corner of South Terrace and Sandgate Street and you can find out more here.
3. NAIDOC Week Children's Arts and Crafts Bring your children along to this free craft workshop and celebrate the culture of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
This will be held at the Manning Library, 2 Conochie Crescent, Manning. It will be held on 11th July, from 10 am to 12 noon.
4. PERTH - Work Your Light Australian Tour
Bestselling author of Light Is The New Black and Rise Sister Rise, Rebecca Campbell, will be sharing her latest creation, the stunning Work Your Light Oracle deck in this event created especially for her Australian community. Rebecca will guide you through some powerful and practical exercises to tune into the "inner temple within".
Tickets are strictly limited so for more information and bookings, go to this link.
It will be on at the South Perth Community Hall, Cnr Sandgate St and South Terrace, on Monday, 9th July, from 6.30 pm to 9 pm.
5. Living Green: David Ritter The Coal Truth
UWA Publishing and South Perth Libraries invite you to attend this riveting Living Green event. Hosting this talk will be Perth born, Greenpeace CEO and lawyer, David Ritter, as well as independent climate justice campaigner, Jaime Yallup Farrant. They will discuss the world of coal mining, environmental activism, and imagining the future for Australian children.
You will hear all about the Coal truth, the fight to stop Adani and defeating the big polluters. You can read more about this interesting event and book your tickets here.
It will be held on Tuesday 10th July from 6.30 pm to 7.30 pm at the Manning Community Centre Hall, between Bradshaw and Conochie Crescents. Book sales and signing will be available on the night and parking is available in the basement off Bradshaw Crescent.
6. YOGA NIDRA (Guided Meditation)
You can now attend yoga classes on the first Friday of every month. You will learn how to de-stress and wind down the week's tensions. Yoga Nidra is yogic sleep. This 75 minute meditation class drops you into a deep state of relaxation, until all senses are withdrawn other than the sense of hearing.
You will be supplied with mats, blankets and blocks should you need them, but bringing your own mat or towel is encouraged.
This will be next on Friday 6th July, from 6:15 pm to 7:30 pm, at South Perth Senior Citizens Centre, 53 Coode Street.
Bookings and more information can be seen here, and cost is $12.
7. Comedylicious Standup Comedy
The Theatre Garden Presents another round of great Standup Comedy at The Como Hotel. Featured here will be Simone Springer as MC and a night of great, free stand-up comedy for a good laugh!
8. Manning Library Board Game Club
Come and join in some free modern board and card games. If you have never played and would like to learn, or if you have a collection you are willing to share, you're welcome to come and join in.
This will be held monthly with the next one on 7th July, from 10.30 am. It will be held at the Manning Library Function Room, 2 Conochie Crescent. For more information or to register, go to this link, or phone 9474 0822.