I am a travel writer and photographer with a passion for the great outdoors and food!
I love travelling and discovering hidden gems... experience the journey on Instragram! @gypsy_compass
Published November 11th 2014
Explore, adventure, escape to South Coast beaches
The weather is heating up and there is no better way to keep cool than visiting the beach this summer.
Below are the top South Coast Beaches to visit. Whether it is for surfing, sunbathing, swimming, snorkelling or just relaxing with a book, the below beaches are sure to please everyone!
They are worth the drive and make the perfect family or romantic escape this summer.
1. Hyams Beach – Jervis Bay
Known to be one of the whitest sands in the world and with its tranquil clear waters this beach is one not to be missed! Where: off Cyrus St, Hyams Beach, Jervis Bay Details: Limited car park, toilets located in the carpark including shower tap, stairs to get to the beach.
2. Chinamans Beach Situated next to Hyams beach, this beach has it all from a bushwalk that will lead onto the beach to the clearest blue waters and softest sands... Where: Cyrus St, Hyams Beach, Jervis Bay Details: limited car park space; however there is plenty of parking on the side of the road, no toilets on site – nearest bathroom facilities will be at Hyams Beach (less than a one minute drive). Need to walk down stairs to get to the beach.
The clear waters and white sands of Chinamans Beach...
3. Narooma Surf Beach – Narooma Situated in one of the most scenic and picturesque towns of the South Coast. This beach is perfect for families, a romantic sunset stroll or just to relax and watch the views of Montague Island.
Where: Willcocks Ave, Narooma
Details: Plenty of car park spots, picnic tables and benches to sit on that are scattered around the beach.
4. Guerilla Bay – (Batemans Bay)
Where: Beach Pde, Guerilla Beach (near Batemans Bay)
Details: Secluded, clear and extremely inviting. Perfect for snorkellers (regardless of what level experience you are), a nice swim or a walk across the beach is breathtakingly beautiful. – Not a crowded beach, there is a small car park.
Montague Island can be seen from Narooma Surf Beach...
5. McKenzies Beach- (Batemans Bay)
Where: Georges Bass Drive, Malua Bay (Near Batemans Bay)
Details: A small, beautiful and undeveloped beach, extremely popular with the locals and visitors alike. Snorkelling is for more experienced snorkellers.
6. Seven Mile Beach – Gerroa (near Kiama)
Where: Crooked Beach Rd, Gerroa
Details: This is an extremely opened beach with plenty of beach activities to be enjoyed here; the beach is patrolled making it perfect for families. Surfing and kite surfing are some of the favoured activities here.
Escape to McKenzies Beach for a relaxing day out...
7. Pebbly Beach – (near Batemans Bay)
Where: Mount Agony Rd, East Lynne (Murramarang National Park)
Details: Tucked away behind the forest on the coastline, this treasure lays. Watch the kangaroos sunbake alongside you, enjoy a swim or maybe you want to spot out the pebbles along the beach, you will not be disappointed – well worth the drive!
It is not just about the pebbles at Pebbly Beach...
8. Werri Beach – Gerringong
Where: Pacific Ave, Werri Beach – Gerringong
Details: A small but popular beach with both locals and visitors alike. Nice waves, this is certainly a family friendly beach that everyone will enjoy and love.
9. Bombo Beach – Kiama
Where: Panama St, Kiama
Details: Great surfing beach and is dog friendly too! Do swim where the life guards patrol has there are rips at Bombo beach, but other than that it is a fantastic day escape the whole family will love! To access Bombo beach you need to drive under the railway which leads to the carpark.