I am a travel writer and photographer with a passion for the great outdoors and food!
I love travelling and discovering hidden gems... experience the journey on Instragram! @gypsy_compass
Published April 4th 2017
Discover the Heart of the Sapphire Coast
Merimbula is derived from the Aboriginal word for 'two lakes' as well as being known as the Heart of the Sapphire Coast.
Merimbula is located approximately 6 hours drive from Sydney CBD and around 6 ½ hours drive from Melbourne CBD, making this picturesque coastal town the perfect city escape!
Discover the magic at Merimbula with the list below of the Top Attractions around Merimbula and its surrounds:
1. Turingal Head Picnic Area You can make a whole day of fun at this attraction! Explore the stunning scenery, enjoy birdwatching, swimming and fishing and many other activities to enjoy. This relaxing picnic area is near the glistering waters of Wallagoot Lake and Wine Glass Bay. There is a short 200 metre walk to Wine Glass Bay to admire- continue for another 100 metres to the ocean beach where you can enjoy the beach. Click here for the website.
There is no shortage of coastal views at Merimbula!
2. State East Forests National Park This National Park protects soaring old-growth forests, rugged granite formations and picturesque valleys and gorges, making this attraction a must visit. You can enjoy horseriding, birdwatching, historical sites, hikes and walking trails, lookouts, cycling trails, picnic spots and much more activities to enjoy. Click here for the website.
The lush bushland surrounding the Merimbula Boardwalk Walking Track...
3. Old School Museum The building was originally constructed for use as a school and opened in 1873. Today it is home to a museum as well as being listed as National Trust of Australia. Click here for the website.
A lovely stroll at surrounding National Parks is a must!
3. Rotary Walk This walk takes you through the twists and turns of vegetation, following the steps along bridges till you arrive at Bar Beach. The walk is secluded and offers spectacular views taking you along the edge of the ocean. Click here for the website.
Explore the surrounding lakes - Wallagoot Lake is filled with swans who call this lake home...
4. Spencer Park Beach This shallow, clear and waveless beach is the perfect family-friendly attraction. The beach stretches out as far as Bar Beach and when the tide is out you can make your way across the shallow water to the other side. There is a playground and amenities here too. Click here for the website.
Hire a row boat and enjoy the calm waters at Merimbula...
This sheltered beach is another family-friendly beach attraction, with peaceful and calm conditions, making it also perfect for snorkelling during the summer months. When the tide is out you can swim across to Main Beach of Spencer Park Beach. Click here for the website.
There are many activities to enjoy at the surrounding beaches...
6. Merimbula Aquarium There are 27 tank aquariums and an ocean tank to explore. There are hands-on interactive displays and the feeding times are a must see. The restaurant above the aquarium makes the perfect place to grab a bite to eat before or after your visit to the aquarium. Click here for the website.
We spotted this wild cute baby wombat during our visit to Ben Boyd National Park...
7. Tura Beach Country Club Overlooking the grand Pacific Ocean, this 18 hole championship golf course has been a mainstay in the Top 100 public courses in Australia for its spectacular design as well as picturesque scenery, making this attraction a must visit. The Golf Course was also Australia's first dedicated gold course community.
8. Bournda National Park
This best-kept secret National Park features secluded beaches, breathtaking views with stunning coastal walks, birdwatching opportunities, camping and water activities can also be enjoyed here. This natural playground is a haven for nature enthusiasts. Click here for the website.
From rainforest walks to lush bushland, there is a walk suited for all nature lovers...
9. Pambula Merimbula Golf Club
This is the only 27 hole golf course on the Sapphire Coast and features a golf course that winds its way through stunning native bushland abutting the pristine Merimbula lakes, with an abundance of wildlife on display. There is social and competition golf, hire facilities, clubhouse and more. Click here for the website.
10. Merimbula Boardwalk
Discover mangroves, lush bushland, and lakes on this easy boardwalk. The boardwalk is suited for wheelchair, prams and cycling, making it the perfect family-friendly attraction to enjoy the great outdoors and nature. Click here for my article.
11. Magic Mountain
This family- friendly attraction is loaded with adventure with a range of activities to enjoy such as grand-prix racing cars, toboggan, water slides, roller coaster, carpet slide, jumping castle, mini golf and much more. There is the Tree Climb Challenge, a high ropes adventure course if you are brave enough! Click here for the website.
The Jetty is a great place to enjoy a relaxing afternoon...
12. Potoroo Palace Native Animal Sanctuary
Visit some cute and cuddly native animals at this sanctuary. There are animal encounters, exhibits and displays, educational talks twice daily, intimate experiences, giant games boards, BBQs, picnic areas, walks, and much more. Click here for the website.
13. Mitch's Jetty
This iconic jetty is the perfect attraction to enjoy safe swimming conditions, kayak rides, laze around and soak up the rays, enjoy a leisurely stroll or bike ride. Be sure to add this attraction to the list for a lazy afternoon! Click here for the website.
Merimbula and its surrounds offers spectacular & breathtaking coastal views...
14. Short Point
Experience some of the best coastal views at this attraction. The beach is a popular surf spot with a grassy headland to sit back and relax. The beach is patrolled during summer on the southern corner and the headland offers dog leash-off areas. Click here for the website.
15. Middle Beach
This hidden gem is situated on high forested slopes, making it the perfect attraction to discover your own private beach. The beach is around 500m long and is accessed by a steep track with stairs, which is bordered by rocky outcrops, making it an interesting snorkel experience. There are no facilities or patrolled areas on this beach.
Be sure to keep an eye out for the abundance of marine life that can be found here...
16. Tura Beach
This epic headland is bordered by two long white beaches and offers dog-friendly off-leash areas and the beach is not patrolled. You can enjoy many scenic short walks that surround the beach. Click here for the website.
Be in awe with natural beauty at the surrounding National Parks
17. Ford Park
This park is a fantastic attraction as it is well maintained and clean. There are gym equipment to enjoy, walking paths, plenty of picnic areas with BBQs, playground for the little ones and the beach is the perfect way to end your day!
Discover the history at Merimbula & its surroundings
18. Ben Boyd National Park
Discover intriguing history, explore Aboriginal middens, visit a heritage lighthouse, be in awe with the many stunning lookouts, enjoy coastal to lush bushland walks and treks, birdwatching opportunities, wildlife spotting, 4wd, breathtaking natural pinnacle rock formations and much more, making this National park the perfect day. Click here for my article.