A freelance writer living in Perth, WA. My blog is coming soon. Watch this space!
Published July 17th 2012
Winter is a time for rain, cold winds, cold days and nights, and it's hard to get warm and keep warm. Winter is also a great time to eat all your favourite comfort foods. Winter Comfort Foods should be fairly easy to make and hearty, just what you need to warm you up.
1. A nice big bowl of Porridge is the best way to warm you up on a cold winter's morning. There are lots of different flavoured porridges around now so you have plenty to choose from. Porridge is easy to make and a really quick meal – ready in minutes in the microwave. You can always add your favourite toppings to porridge such as honey, fruit or syrup.
2. It doesn't have to be Sunday to enjoy a good old fashioned Roast Dinner. Roast meat or chicken served with your favourite vegetables and hot, tasty gravy. Not too difficult to prepare and once it's all in the oven you just have to wait for it to cook. A yummy, hot meal to really warm you up and fill you up.
3. Soup is really perfect on a cold winter's day when you need to warm up fast. There are plenty of ready-made soups available but if you want to make your own it's pretty simple. If you own a crock pot you can put all the ingredients into the pot in the morning and slow cook it all day, then come home to yummy hot soup. Make your favourite soup such as chicken or vegetable or try something new.
4. Shepherd's Pie is a great winter meal and simple to make. With a base of meat and vegetables and the topping of golden mashed potato it doesn't take long to prepare and cooks in about 30 minutes. Serve it piping hot with lashings of tasty gravy. You can use left-over meat and vegetables for the base or any other type of meat you like.
5. Macaroni and Cheese is a good old fashioned, classic easy meal. It's easy to make, a hot and tasty meal the whole family will love, and you can add your favourite toppings such as bacon, ham or extra cheese.
6. Beef Stew is one of those recipes that you can make on your own. It consists mainly of beef cut into cubes and vegetables in gravy. You can add whatever you like to it – onions, garlic or tomato – to suit your own tastes. This is another meal for the slow cooker but if you don't have one it takes between two and three hours to cook a rich tasty stew.
7. Steak and Kidney Pie is a hearty meal and once again you can add to it whatever you like. Steak and kidney cut into cubes, rich gravy and a crispy pastry crust. Of course if you don't like kidney you can leave it out and still have a delicious pie.
8. One of my favourites is a Meat and Potato Pie. Cubes of meat (left-overs or your favourite meat), potatoes, vegetables and a rich gravy with a crispy pastry crust. Served hot with extra gravy it's a filling and warming meal.
9. Bread and Butter Pudding is a nice winter comfort food. Easy to make and easy to eat it will warm you up in no time. It's easy to make and can be altered to your own taste by adding currents or sultanas, cinnamon or honey - buttered bread cut into cubes, sprinkled with sugar and covered with milk, then baked in the oven until golden brown (about 30 minutes). If you prefer your pudding a bit more solid then you can add a beaten egg to the mixture.
10. If you have a sweet tooth there are lots of yummy, hot desserts such as Sticky Date Pudding, Apple Crumble or Chocolate Lava Pudding that you can serve with steaming hot custard.
Your favourite comfort food might be something quick and easy like French toast, omelette or beans on toast, but whatever it is, nothing beats a nice warm meal on a cold winter's day.