As a children's author, wife and mother of three, I love adventure, travel and all things creative. I'm a sucker for home reno shows and enjoy meeting new people.
Visit my website at www.CassandraStephensAuthor.com
Published February 19th 2021
Positively impacting the lives of others
In today's world, where so many people are pressed for time, struggling to make ends meet and in need of human connection, why not try these tips for spreading a little kindness. Take up any or all of these tips to do just that and make your community a better place.
1. Donate blood Blood and plasma stocks are always low and as long as its safe for you to do so, donating blood can save lives. If you're not sure where to donate, you can find your nearest centre at https://www.donateblood.com.au/donate
2. Give your time
We all have a unique skill, so why not make the most of it by offering your services to a worthy benefactor, free of charge. You may be a qualified plumber, bookkeeper, or gardener. These are all highly desirable services that could greatly help a struggling business or homeowner. Offer a one-off helping hand and you may be surprised at the benefits that flow from this kind gesture.
3. Cook a meal This might involve preparing dinner for a busy family, an elderly neighbour, or assisting Meals on Wheels. Just be sure to observe any dietary requirements and safe food handling practices.
4. Mow your neighbour's lawn A former neighbour of mine used to occasionally mow my lawn while I was at work. They were the sweetest people and I'll never forget how appreciative I was of this unexpected assistance and making my day that much easier.
5. Help out at your local school This could include reading to primary schoolers, serving in the tuckshop, or sharing your skills/experiences as a learning activity. This may not be possible if you don't have a current Blue Card Working with Children Check. Be sure to contact the school first to see how you may be able to help.
6. Donate your recycled bottle earnings to a Not-for-Profit Lots of NFCs have links available for public donations. Some are promoted at the recycling centre, while others may require a little more searching through community notices, websites or newsletters.
7. Pick up rubbish We all live in this world and we need to make it a better place. Nothing irks me more than people dropping rubbish on our streets. It's an environmental hazard and looks terrible. Picking up litter is certainly not glamorous, but it can be a worthwhile activity. As you walk the streets collecting those discarded items, you'll be getting some incidental exercise while keeping your community clean. Be sure to wear suitable closed-in walking shoes, sun-smart clothing and quality gloves to keep you safe and clean.
8. Help a club
Sporting and cultural clubs can always use an extra set of hands. Whether it's answering calls, helping in the canteen, coaching, umpiring or managing an event, this one can benefit a lot of people and is also great for making friends.
9. Foster or rescue an animal There are so many unwanted animals in the world and not enough homes to keep them. Contact your local RSPCA or animal shelter to see if you can be of assistance.
10. Pay it forward Make someone's day with a random act of kindness. Pay for a stranger's morning coffee, gift a cheerful note, or babysit a friend's child. I personally like the anonymous gift best, as a little unsolicited generosity goes a long way to making someone feel special and is more likely to spread the love further.
So there you have it. Some simple and effective ways to make a difference. If you have other suggestions for spreading kindness please feel free to drop me a line, or post a comment on this article.