I am a freelance writer born in Johannesburg now living in Melbourne. I love travelling and have lived in London and Taipei as well as travelling in and around South Africa. I have a great interest in exploring and love to share my finds with others.
Published April 25th 2012
Alexander Crispin/Getty Images
Rain rain go away. Rain is a useful part of existence. It makes the flowers grow, feeds our rivers and lakes and is one of the most important diet components for all living things.
But it certainly can make a day indoors seem like a much more pleasant activity then braving the cold wind and icy rains.
So here are a few great ideas for your rainy day.
1) Have a beauty day - manicure your nails and pedicure your toes. Put on a face mask and use a deep condition moisturiser to pamper your gorgeous locks.
2) Bake - a rainy day is a perfect time to create amazing cookies, a delicious cake or simply ice and decorate some store bought tea biscuits.
3) Organise a movie marathon - A few good movies, some air popped popcorn, corn chips and salsa. Finish with comfy couches, blankets and pillows and enjoy the film fiesta
4) Board games - this is an excellent time to bring out those old family favourites like Monopoly and Risk and bring back some of your childhood memories of board games and some healthy competition.
5) Stay under the blanket and catch up on a good book.
6) Organise those holiday photos - everyone has at least one holidays worth of photos sitting on their camera or hiding in a folder on the computer. This would be an excellent time to create a new Facebook album or even try your hand at scrap-booking.
7) Cheese and wine day - A raid of the fridge and pantry and perhaps a quick trip to the local supermarket you can create a gorgeous cheese board complete with quince jam and grapes. This goes perfectly with good conversation.
8) Crafts - learn to knit, make a pom pom for easy suitcase identification or draw a picture.
9) Create a new playlist on your iPod - this is a perfect time to reacquaint yourself with lost albums or create the perfect play list for working out, running or just chilling before bed
10) Plan your next beach break - a rainy day is the perfect time to create that spreadsheet and start your research for your next vacation
See what other ideas you can come up with the next rainy day and remember to enjoy the warmth of relaxing indoors.