A recent graduate of Creative Writing, Melanie enjoys shopping for vintage goods and exploring new places.
Published June 7th 2012
Helensburgh is a small town in the Illawarra region of New South Wales, located 45 kilometres south of the Sydney CBD. The town is situated at the southern end of The Royal National Park and is surrounded by native bushland. Helensburgh serves as a great stopover when travelling between Sydney and the Illawarra region and although it is only a small town, there are still plenty of things to do, such as get a bite to eat, look for local treasures or take a dip.
1. Eat-in at the Bad Influence Café: Don't be fooled by the name, this café offers a variety of meals, from healthy salads to sandwiches, melts, quiche, burgers and pies. Perfect for lunch or a driving break, you can also enjoy a range of hot and cold beverages. The Bad Influence Café is a favourite amongst both tourists and locals for its' relaxed environment and good service.
2. Make Use of the Public Pool:
The great thing about Helensburgh's Public Pool is that it is so much more than just a pool. If the weather isn't warm enough for a swim, then you can always make use of the other facilities on offer, such as instructional classes, the Aqua Sauna and gym. The various instructional classes available include: aerobics, life-saving and Stretch and Tone.
The Aqua Sauna is available for use seven days a week, however on Mondays from 3.30 p.m. until 8.45 p.m. the Aqua Sauna is available to females only. Every other weekday, the Aqua Sauna is available for both males and females from 9.15 a.m. until 8.45 p.m. On weekends, opening times are from 9 a.m. until 4.30 p.m.
The gym is also available seven days a week, with Monday nights at 7.30 p.m. until 8.45 p.m. available to females only. Every other weekday the gym is open 9.15 a.m. until 8.45 p.m., however on weekends it is open from 9 a.m. until 4.30 p.m.
3. Find a Bargain and Help Out Charity: Op-shops are great because when you spend your money, at least you know it's going to a good cause. Helensburgh Salvos is quite big, filled with everything from second-hand clothing to toys, books and furniture. Not only is it fun to trawl through all of the various items, but the real accomplishment is when you find something you've always wanted for only a few dollars.
The Salvos store is open Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. until 4.45 p.m. and Saturdays from 9.00 a.m. until 3.45 p.m.
4. Visit the Shop that Sells Everything: House Warehouse is a huge shop that has aisles and aisles filled with just about everything. From wrapping, craft supplies and decorations to confectionery, pet beds and gardening tools, you'll be hard pressed not to find something you need here.
5. Escape from the City and Enjoy the Sights:
Helensburgh is located in a picturesque setting where you can enjoy the surrounding bushland and tranquillity. Whilst driving through the town you notice many farms containing animals such as horses, sheep, goats and cows.
From Helensburgh you can access lookouts over Kelly's Falls, a waterfall that marks the top of the Hacking River and serves as a great backdrop for a picnic or bush walk.
Whilst in Helensburgh it is also recommended that you view the beautiful, white Hindu temple that has been in operation since 1978.