I am freelance writer from Brisbane. I combine my passion for life and writing here at Weekend Notes. If you love writing as well, apply to write for Weekend Notes here- live.weekendnotes.com/apply/194183/
Published July 3rd 2014
Stuck for something to do on a Sunday? Here is a list of things to do around town on a Sunday that will truly spice up your weekend -
1. Head to the markets! There are many to choose from in locations around Brisbane. What you need to decipher is what kind of markets you are in the mood for-
Eat Street Markets at Hamilton wharf offers a delectable range of street food with the atmosphere of an Asian food market. Now open on Sundays 10am to 7pm. The Finders Keepers Market is located at the heritage listed Old Museum, next to the RNA showgrounds in Brisbane. The markets bring together both local designers, and creative folk from all around Australia.
Finders Keepers Brisbane SS13 Market - photo by Dave Kan
9. Take a cosmic trip to the Sir Thomas Brisbane Planetarium. Located in the Botanical Gardens of Mt Cootha this is a fun and educational thing to do on a Sunday. Be sure to find time to visit the tranquil Japanese gardens in the Botanical Gardens after your are done.
11. Relax and listen to music. The Morrison Hotel always has a good band on Sunday afternoons. Check out the resident DJ at Watt Dining for a laid back session starting from 3pm. The Boo has a DJ on Sundays also. Enjoy whilst playing a serious round of lawn bowls. Black Bear Lodge boasts some great new talent! Located in the Fortitude Valley, music from 7pm. Enjoy music at its finest at the Brisbane Jazz Club at Kangaroo point.
20. Eat your weight in haloumi at the Little Greek Taverna. My favorite is the one drizzled with honey.
21. Become a coffee connoisseur at Campos coffee tasting session. Held every Saturday and Sunday at 2pm. Cost is $30 which includes 250g of coffee to take home.
22. Enjoy a movie and a meal, snacks and beverages (served to you whilst watching a movie) at the Blueroom Cinebar in Paddington.
23. Head to West End and enjoy tasting some craft beers at The Burrow.
Source: The Burrow- West End
24. Purchase extremely cheap second hand designer gear in The Wintergarden at Designer Archives. Whether you are looking for Gucci, or Armani, this establishment has many preloved items looking for a new love (you). Or if you have any designer gear in good condition, they can sell it for you!
Source: Designer Archives - The Wintergarden
25. Shisha! Not the healthiest of options but it is a great way to unwind and relax, especially with some brewed tea. If smoking some flavored tobacco (my favorite is grape and mint) whilst sitting on some floor cushions sounds tempting, head to Persian Cafe Rendez Vous on Park Road in Milton. You can even play backgammon whilst enjoying your hookah pipe.
26. I know this might sound a little 'geekish' but trust me, you will have fun. The Science Centre is a fascinating place and a cool way to spend some of your time. Located in South Bank.