One of my favourite parts of living on the Gold Coast was getting in the car and driving in any direction as there would always be a new discovery. My favourite destination was Byron Bay, which is only 1-hour drive south of the Gold Coast.
Bypass the tourist traps and head straight to The Top Shop; a coffee haven tucked away on a hill. Here you can sit on the grass getting your dose vitamin D, as well as your coffee fix. They serve big burgers, deliciously dangerous cakes and super thick smoothies. The perfect destination after a refreshing swim or surf in the ocean.
After going here each time I visited Byron Bay and raving about it to family and friends, (and in true Tasmanian style) I came aware that my mother was good friends with the owner's mother. So when mum came to visit we made the special visit to The Top Shop. She too was very impressed. As it is on a steep hill, it may be a little difficult for people with mobility difficulty. With the help of other family members, however, mum entered with ease. Communal tables with stools are the main seating options, so a takeaway might be the best.
Five reasons why I would go to The Top Shop
1. After a big swim/surf what better way to spend the afternoon basking in the sun, chatting to friends and sipping on a deliciously smooth coffee
2. Haloumi burger for lunch. Enough said.
3. They have a little window, so if you just want to swing by for a takeaway before taking in the views at the lighthouse.
4. Out of the hustle and bustle of the main strip of Bryon. Indulge in something sweet when no one is looking.
5. Takeaway lunch, head down to the beach to watch the ocean put on a show.