The Tea Dragon Society - Book Review

The Tea Dragon Society - Book Review

Posted 2017-10-04 by Jennifer Muirheadfollow

Greta, the blacksmith's apprentice, finds a little lost dragon at the market. When she returns it to its owner, Hesekiel, he offers to teach her about the almost forgotten art of caring for Tea Dragons- creatures who grow leaves on their bodies that can be made into special tea. Greta meets Hesekiel's partner, Eric and a mysterious girl called Minette, and comes to value patience, the sharing of memories and of course, tea.

Written by New Zealand author Katie O'Neil, author of the award-winning Princess Princess Ever After, The Tea Dragon Society is a sweet, slow-moving story about continuing traditions in a changing world and holding onto memories even if they might be painful. It contains very little violence and no explicit language, making it suitable for younger readers. The art is adorable! There are several different species of tea dragons (their various properties are outlined in the back of the book) and I WANT THEM ALL! I want them in a basket! Ahem, the book is beautifully illustrated, in soft pastels and floral motifs. There is a refreshing diversity (age, skin tone, disability and sexual orientation) among the characters.
%%
The Tea Dragon Society%% is a sweet, simple, beautifully illustrated fairy tale that will appeal to adults and children alike.

Published: October 31, 2017
Disclaimer: I was given a complimentary copy of this book by Diamond Book Distributors, via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

#book_reviews
#books_writing
#comics
#LGBTIQ
#misc
%wneverywhere
86734 - 2023-06-11 07:27:11

Tags

Music
Free
Arts_culture
Film_tv_reviews