Subscribe      List an Event or Business      Invite a Writer      Write for WN      Writers      Other Locations
Home > Adelaide > Comments > The Disused Grunthal Gold and Copper Mine
Your Reply
Optional Image: (jpg or gif)
Your Email:

Security Image:
nlzooa
Security Text:
copy text from image above
Highlighted
minimum score: order: subscribe:
I was so pleased to see this article . As part of the National Australian Curriculum, Rocks and Mining are part of the year 8 course . I really wanted to take my students to a mine .The Hugh Wheals Mine at Moonta is now closed due to rockfall. When I saw this I thought, finally some where to take them .However after reading the article it does not say if tours are available( ideal for my class) or where the place is or who to contact or indeed if it is open to the public.Can you provide any more details or even tell me of other places my students could visit. I would love them to be able pan for gold!
by karen (score: 0|5) 3595 days ago
by Dave Walsh (score: 4), 3595 days ago
by Dave Walsh (score: 4), 3595 days ago
Hi Karen

As I mentioned, the mine is currently owned by the railway track company ARTC. It is expected to be sold soon through Raine & Horne (link in the article), and you could check with them about access.

If you can't get access here, may I suggest the Almanda Silver Mine as another option? It is open to the public and quite accessible. Read more about it here: https://www.weekendnotes.com/almaneda-silver-mine/

Regards
Dave