The Citrus Tart Cafe

The Citrus Tart Cafe

Posted 2014-03-08 by Jeni Wilsonfollow

The Citrus Tart is a cosy, family owned café conveniently located close to the Watsonia station. It has been in this location for ten years and owned by a mother (Gwen) and daughter (Kirsty) team for four years. When they first started at the Citrus Tart, they thought they'd give it a go and they love it.

The Citrus Tart has a lot of regulars who like to come in for a chat. Apparently the long serving staff is good listeners.

Gwen makes most of the foods herself which is no small feat because they have an enormous selection. An all time favourite is the chicken schnitzel sandwiches and of course the citrus tart. I could feel that the home-made vanilla slice is trying to wield its magnetic powers over me.

It was a little bit early for lunch but what the heck, I couldn't resist the spinach and ricotta borek (with real spinach and sour cream). I didn't mean to but I ate the lot and the serving was generous.

Due to this reviewing task I had no choice but to try out the citrus tart. This was probably the best I have tasted. It was creamy and not too tart. I managed to consume it all even with good intentions to share with the family for unbiased feedback.

All told for my main, dessert and a drink I only spent $16.

My friend had a slice of raisin toast and nicely served tea. She also bought a take away salad that looked tempting. Too many choices.

The Citrus Tart caters for children and offers gluten free food. There are many varieties of coffee and cold beverages. Toasted sandwiches are from $7, sandwiches and rolls from $6.50 and $1.50 extra for focaccia. The menu says 'It's okay to create your own combinations'. I looked at the selection and thought this was a bit like an upmarket Subway.

On the budget side they have mini muffins and cakes for just $1.50. Add to my 'To eat list' the honeycomb cheesecake for $6.50 and the raspberry white chocolate bombe (whatever that is it looks delicious).

An added bonus is that Kristy is stocking some jewellery made by a friend. I love to shop and eat so this is the perfect location.

Breakfast, lunch, snacks and coffee are available from 8.30am to about 4.30pm week days and 1.30pm on Saturday. They seat up to 30 people with indoor and outdoor dining but ring to book for lunch as they are sometimes booked out.

#cafes
#child_friendly
#coffee
#gluten_free
#lunch
#north_east
#watsonia
%wnmelbourne
186174 - 2023-06-16 02:45:32

Tags

Free
Festivals