I am a freelance writer living in Manly. I enjoy writing reviews for Weekend Notes.
I enjoy the outdoors and anything to do with the water. My interests are travel, Live Theatre,The Ballet and Restaurants that serve delicious innovative food.
The best of the sydney festival events entertaining shows
There are many venues for these events, mainly in Sydney CBD. My favorite place is Hyde Park where the Sydney Festival Village is set up each year. This in itself is a delight with a lot of free events happening there.
Now for a list of the pick of the events I see as having something special to offer.
1. The first is Nude, performed at the Art Gallery of NSW by the Sydney Dance Company.
At present the Art Gallery of NSW is showing an exhibition called Nude. This amazing exhibition includes a wonderful collection of the worlds most famous sculptures and paintings from across the globe. The highlight of this is The Kiss, which is a magnificent piece of work.
The Sydney Dance Company performs their dance nude. They bring alive the sculptures which are on display in the exhibition. The performance is done in the rooms where the sculptures are on show. I went to the premiere of Nude last Saturday and found it unique. The performers were nude, yet skillful in making the dancing totally natural and relaxed. The atmosphere was open and friendly. Performances: January 15 -17, 22 - 23 If you can go to see it, you will experience a whole new art form.
3. Another great event I would recommend is Celia Pacquala - The Looking Glass. Celia is a comedian with a fresh approach to comedy. She is funny and honest with a charming air about her. It's great, feel-good theatre showing at the Spiegeltent Tent Hyde park from 17 to 19 January. Price $36.
4. The next event is again at the Spiegeltent - a cabaret featuring Yana Alana. This is a bawdy show not for the faint hearted. Yana's voice is sensational. She sings songs by Nina Simone, Shirley Bassey and other greats.
5. Another interesting performance Is The Pitch Perfect Pop Parody by Otto and Astrid. These two girls come from Berlin and were a Eurosmash.They perform a show of riotous entertainment. Together they have an undeniable energy which shows through in this irreverent musical satire. They perform in the Siegeltent tent at the Meriton Festival Village, Hyde Park from January 26 to 28th Price $40.
6. Christa Hughes performs in cabaret style, singing the songs of some of Australia's greatest rock and roll stars. Her voice has vocal power that reflects emotion. Most of her vocals are good old fashioned rock and roll, sung with a passion that reflects the music of the 1920s Jazz and Blues. If you go to see Christa Hughes's performance you will enjoy a night of wild entertainment and great music at Spiegeltent Meriton Festival Village Hyde Park. Performances January 24th to 26th Price $40 to $50.
Christa Hughes's rocking The Ladies Lounge, Sydney Festival Hyde Park
7. The last act I will mention that is worth a look is Felicity Ward, a stand up comic. If you enjoy comedy mixed with a quick wit she will entertain you. Felicity was a hit at The Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2016. Performances Jan 20-22nd Price $36
Felicity Ward performs at the Sydney Festival 2016