Loves going out and about in Canberra and writing about her adventures! Also addicted to coffee, high teas, escape rooms, and dressing up.
Published October 17th 2018
Keeping our children safe in the water
With the soaking hot days of summer fast approaching, thousands of Canberrans will be keeping cool by jumping into backyard pools, public pools, rivers and lakes, and heading off to the south coast for its beaches.
These disturbing reports highlight the absolute importance of water safety and swimming skills for all Canberrans. My son has been swimming since he was 4 months old, and in spite of the rising costs of swimming lessons (which is, unfortunately, a major factor in why parents pull their children out of swimming lessons), I think it's a very crucial investment. After all, we live in a country that spends a lot of its time in the water, even for those us living here in landlocked Canberra.
There are a number of swimming schools for children across Canberra that offer excellent learn-to-swim programs run by qualified, nationally accredited swim instructors in safe, supportive learning environments. Here are nine of them:
1. Swim School at the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS). Learn to swim at Australia's premier elite sports training institution. The AIS Aquatic Centre houses both 50 metre and 25 metre indoor heated pools. There are a wide range of learn-to-swim programs including infant aquatics for parents/carers and their children aged 12-36 months, pre school and school aged programs, adult learn to swim classes, and school holiday intensive swim programs. To find out more, visit the AIS website here.
2. Kingswim schools. Located in Deakin, Macgregor and Majura Park, Kingswim has been teaching kids to swim for over 30 years. Their learn-to-swim programs cater for 12 week old babies right through to graduate level swimmers. Kingswim also offer Fast Track school holiday intensive programs and free introductory lessons. For more information visit here.
3. Canberra International Sports and Aquatic Centre (CISAC). This privately owned sports centre is located at Bruce. Its aquatic facilities include a 50 metre 10 lane indoor Olympic sized swimming pool, 25 metre pool, leisure pool, and Canberra's only indoor waterslide. CISAC's learn to swim programs cater for babies from 6 months old to adults and squad training. And they maintain a strict Instructor to Student ratio to ensure each student gets the proper attention they deserve. For further details about CISAC's swim school, go here.
4. YMCA. YMCA NSW runs both the Lakeside Leisure Centre in Tuggeranong and the Gungahlin Leisure Centre. They offer learn-to-swim classes for babies as young as six months right through to primary school aged children. YMCA also has opportunities for children (and adults) to take part in the Swim Squads program. And SwimAbility is a program designed especially for people with a disability. For more information, visit Gungahlin Leisure Centre and Lakeside Leisure Centre.
5. Active Leisure Centre in Wanniassa runs swimming lessons for babies from 4 months to adults. They also offer non-competitive squads and private swimming lessons. To find out more, visit their website here here.
6. Jump! swim school is a boutique learn to swim facility located at Fyshwick. It caters for babies from 3 months of age right through to pre-squad. Jump! offers small intimate classes, expert qualified swimming teachers, and a heated purpose-built indoor pool. For further details, visit here.
7. Stellar Swim School is located at Phillip. It has a graded indoor heated pool specially designed for their programs, classes for babies aged 3 months to school aged children, school holiday intensive programs, and a free trial lesson for you to see if this is the school for you. For more information, go to Stellar Swim School.
8. Aqua Harmony is a privately owned facility located at Kambah. It offers classes from babies aged 4 months right up to children aged 14. There are also school holiday programs and classes for adults. To find out more, visit their website here.
9. Next Gen Canberra at Lyneham has two pools: an indoor heated 25 metre pool, and an outdoor 25 metre pool. Learn to swim classes run in the indoor heated pool and range from babies aged 6 months to school aged children. For further details, visit here.