Subscribe      List an Event or Business      Invite a Writer      Write for WN      Writers      Other Locations
list an event      1 million Australian readers every month      facebook

Supermoon in Adelaide - August 2014

Home > Adelaide > Free | Fun Things To Do | Hobbies | Outdoor | Unusual Things to do
by Ann Lund (subscribe)
A writer keen to share knowledge of South East Asia and loves exploring and writing about the gems in the community, art and culture of Adelaide, as well as towns and cities further afield.
Event:
Supermoon viewed from Adelaide August 2014
Super full moons occur each year and are a fascinating phenomenan of space in relation to Earth. A super full moon or a 'perigree - syzgy of the Earth - Moon - Sun system' is when the earth is on its closest approach to the earth in a given orbit. Earth, Moon and Sun all in line with the Moon in its nearest approach to Earth. The orbit of the moon around the Earth is elliptical (oval shaped) not circular therefore at some points it is closer to the Earth than others. The Moon completes its orbit of the Earth every 29 days and is at its closest at around 370,000km from Earth.
supermoon, moon, full moon, planets, astronomical, telescope
Supermoon Adelaide 2014 all-free-download.com

When a full moon coincides with the point when it is closest to Earth that is when we get a Supermoon.

At the next Supermoon observed from Adelaide on 11 August 2014 at 3.40am (18.10GMT), you can let your friends and family know that it is 14% bigger and 30% brighter than a regular full moon. Only 59% of the Moon surface can be seen from Earth with the remaining 41% called the 'far side'. You can also intrigue your family and guests by explaining that the Moon is in fact moving away from Earth ever so slowly. It is propelling itself out of the Earth's orbit at 3.8cm each year. On formation the moon was 22,530 km from Earth and is now 238,900km away.
supermoon, moon, full moon, planets, astronomical, telescope
Supermoon Adelaide 2014 all-free-download.com

The supermoon viewed from Adelaide is a specular site. If you are keen to get a very good view of it on 11 August at 3.40am pick a spot with a clear horizon - at the beach, on a mountain look out or an area with few trees to restrict your view. The supermoon can be seen by bare eyes but more spectacular views will be experienced through binoculars or a telescope.

If you want to catch all future supermoons up to 2020 they will be: 28 Sep 2015; 14 Nov 2016; 26 May 2017; 1 Jan 2018; 19 Feb 2019; 7 Apr 2020.

If you have an interest in space, planets and the stars you may wish to look up the events and observatory visits possible in and around Adelaide organised by the Astronomical Society of South Australia via their website here.

Help us improve  Click here if you liked this article  147
Share: email  facebook  twitter
Why? To view the Supermoon over Adelaide
When: 11 August 2014 3.40am
Where: In the sky
Cost: Free
Your Comment
Cool..Ty for the share...:D
by rushs (score: 0|2) 1951 days ago
Thank you for this info, very interesting read. Just one correction though, a straight line of three celestial bodies is spelled 'syzygy' not 'syzgy' (I looked it up because I didn't know what it was).
by crazy (score: 0|2) 1949 days ago
Thanks crazy. I couldn't make sense of the word syzgy either!
Helena
by stret (score: 0|8) 1948 days ago
Thanks for the interest. Was a great supermoon last night. Thankfully not too overcast for some of the night. Thanks for picking up the typo....hope its all clear now and you enjoyed the Super full moon!!!
by Ann Lund (score: 1|66) 1947 days ago
Articles from other cities
Featured
Foodi Photoh Classie
Top Events
Popular Articles
114
Categories
Lists
Questions