Suomenlinna has been part of the defence of three separate countries, Sweden, Russia and Finland, during it's time. Initially it was under Swedish rule from 1748 until the Russo-Swedish war in 1808-1809 when it came under Russian rule. It finally became part of Finland in 1917 after they declared independence.
As expected of any tourist attraction, the fortress has many cafes, restaurants and museums for the tourists and residents to enjoy but it also has a library, hostel, supermarket and a church.
The church was initially built during the Russian rule in 1854. It was a Russian Orthadox garrison church which had five steeples with traditional onion domes. In 1920, under the Finnish rule, the church was converted to an Evangelical-Lutheran church. The outside of the church was changed to a quadrangular shape and the onion domes were removed.
The church also works as a lighthouse for air and sea traffic. It is one of very few in the world which serves both the purpose of a lighthouse and a church. The lighthouse's signal blink is the letter 'H' for Helsinki in Morse code.
The church fence is made out of old cannons and anchor chains