I work in the Finance department of a media company, and someone who dabbles in writing of any genre.
Published March 28th 2013
Ways To Help Combat Those Blue Moments
A friend commented a while back that you have to truly love yourself before you are able to love others. As a Taurean, I am stubborn and it took me a while to realize that those words are true. I guess in everyone's life, there was a time when life is full of adversities and it is very difficult to rise from fallen grace so we tend to keep it to ourselves and be unhappy in the process.
So I put together 10 suggestions that I hope some may find helpful. It might not work for everyone but it will hopefully triggers some kind of assistance to others.
But first, it will help if you ask yourself what's making you unhappy.
Do you feel that you're carrying an extra weight? Then 1. Exercise – you are not only improving yourself physically but it can also improve your mood. When you exercise, your body releases chemical called endorphins which trigger a positive feeling similar to morphine. Regular exercise would help combat the feeling of depression. Start on a five minute walk. If you catch a train at Town Hall, why don't you walk to the next station? Aim for a five minutes' walk then build it up from there.
Are you always broke despite the fact that you're on a good wage 2. Re-asses your finance – maybe it's time to do some digging and see what are you overspending on. If you're familiar with spread sheet, why don't you write you're expenditures in a week? If you find that you're overspending on expensive wine because of its brand. Why don't you try another brand that's $5 cheaper? Australia is blessed with wineries that are known for its quality worldwide. Shop in bulk, look at how you can save on your electricity, and maybe have a night of DVD at home. It might not be much but it will all add up
Are you stressing all the time? 3. Meditation has a lot of Psychological benefits. It will help you control your thoughts, develop intuition, develop will power, it will help in stabilising your emotions. You will also learn to focus and concentrate, and many more to list. Sydney Buddhist Centre have introductory drop in sessions. You are in no obligation to enrol in their courses but donation is optional in this drop in's. Its located on 24 Enmore Rd, Newtown, They are open on Tuesday lunchtime at 12:30 till 1:30 or Saturday morning at 10:20am and finished by 11:30. You don't need to book for these classes, just make sure you dress comfortably. Visit their website or you can send them an email on firstname.lastname@example.org
4.Pamper and give yourself a treat from time to time. You can have a manicure and a pedicure for $50. A facial for $40 or a massage. It works by soothing the soft tissues and relaxing the muscles. It is known to treat a variety of illness, including anxiety, blood pressure, and back pain. Massage is one of the oldest healing traditions. Many cultures, including Egyptians, Chinese and Indians believe that it has a therapeutic properties. Or buy yourslef some beauty products.
Anyone can write
5. Write – so why don't you start a journal and write your thoughts. It doesn't matter how trivial or petty it is. Once you're feeling better, you will re-read your journal and wonder what planet you were at that time. You might even discover your creative alter ego and inspire you to write for weekend notes! I know for a fact that it enhanced my writing and has given me a boost of confidence.
Are you single and lonely?
6. Join a social group – stop staring at that box! Put that bacon and cheese down! It's time to get up, put on your make up, and that slinky black number and party! There are a number of sites that you can join for free and dating sites that have quite a number of talents! Check them out. Plenty of Fish.com, Oasis.com, RSVP.com are all free to join. You can even advertise yourself at a site called Gumtree for free. But, common sense does prevail. Do you know that 30 minutes of sex burns 85 calories and more! Sex is a great mode of exercise. Research had shown that at the time of orgasm, a chemical called oxytocin for men and woman are released, known as one of the main feel good chemicals
If you are financially inept why don't you hit the shops!
7.Shop till you drop – You don't have to spend a fortune to overhaul your wardrobe. There are a few bargain shops that cater for everyone. Shops like SES have cotton singlets for $2.99. Big bargain shops are everywhere, even Myers and David Jones have sales from time to time. But if money is not a problem, then released those pent up frustration and spend to your heart content.
Music is a food for the soul
8. Listen to the music – music tantalises our ear and sooth our inner being. Sad music unfortunately creates havoc to our emotions, but in contradiction to our feelings, we crave sad music. Almost encouraging ourselves to cry, and let go of our emotions. I say, let it be. Let the tears flow freely and clear those tear ducts.
Do you have a lot of free time?
9. Volunteer – There are a lot of organisation that can't get enough staff. Organisation's like Saint Vincent De Paul, Salvation Army, or even in home shelters. Instead of wallowing your time in front of television, visit the elderly.
And if all fails
10. Talk to the professionals – there is no shame in admitting that you are having trouble in coping with everday life. In fact I believe that the crucial process of healing is upon admitting that you have a problem. We are in a lucky country. We have a vast network of professionals that can help when we get into a predicament. Royal Prince Alfred Hospital is an example. So reach out.
I certainly don't claim to be a professional in this field or an expert at such, but merely suggesting some ideas based on my own experience. Nevertheless..
Life is for living so live it. Adversities do come in our life, don't conquer it rather embrace and learn from it. We might not be happy all the time but if we can learn to adopt and cherish the life that had been given to us, we will not walk in the dark.