I'm the Chief Funster of the Chu Crew; I love finding adventures for my husband and I and our four kids to enjoy. Come along! Heart my articles, subscribe to the fun, follow along on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GlassHalfFullMelbourne
Published March 8th 2014
Have a pinch-proof St Patty's Day with your shamrockettes
Celebrate St Patrick's Day at Wonderland Fun Park, Docklands
Leprechauns and rainbows, lucky dips and four-leaf clovers; ask your kids about St Patrick's Day, and they're sure to get a twinkle in their eye. Your kids' toes will be tapping when they find out just how lucky they are to be doing some of these fun activities on St Patrick's Day this year:
1. Get your Irish jig on a day early and head to the Melbourne Irish Festival: Celebrate St Patrick's Day at the Edinburgh Gardens in Melbourne. Enjoy live music, Irish dancing showcases, and face painting. Sunday, 16 March @ 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm
2. Your little shamrockers will really be rockin' at the Wonderland Fun Park, Sunday, 16 March @ 11am - 5pm; head down to the Docklands and enjoy green fairy floss, Irish music and dancing, and maybe even a few leprechaun sightings! Rides from $5 each. When your day is done, search for a pot of gold at Rainbows Ice Cream Parlour, 10am-5pm, 36 Star Crescent, Waterfront City, Docklands; if you luck out on the gold, at least you can still get some ice cream!
3. The Quiet Man IrishPub is not just for grown-ups on St Patrick's Day; the party takes to the streets, and music, face painting, children's entertainers, food and drink stalls, and dancing are in abundance. In the evening the children head off home, more contemporary bands take stage, and Guinness is flowing (more ideas for the taller leprechauns of the clan here).
4. Crayola will keep you colouring your rainbows and more, all weekend long:
5. Dancing at The Dan; How about a party in the park in Carlton at the Dan O'Connell Hotel? Pack some green lime cordial for the kids, and head there on Monday, 17 March, with breakfast from 7am. "On Monday March 17th, The Dan O'Connell Hotel hosts Melbourne's biggest and best St Patrick's Day event. Over the last 130 years it has become an institution kicking off early with a traditional Irish breakfast from 7am, with black pudding for all those who want it! Then the live entertainment starts from 2pm on the outdoor stage with Irish Dancing, The Colonials Celtic Folk, The Strating Sisters, and The Claymore Band. There will be food available all day and of course the Guinness will be flowing [for the grown-ups!]. To be sure, to be sure…"
6. If you're staying close to home and you're ready to get your pot filled with gold treats for your clan, try some of these ideas:
7. Lucky last, lucky number seven! You know it's a good sign when there's a kid's menu at the pub! Book now, because P.J. O'Brien's is opening in the wee hours for breakfast at 7am; full Irish breakfast, Irish dancing and live music from 8am; $25 per person includes a glass of sparkling or a pint of Guinness. Children's price is $12 and includes a juice (12 years & under).
8. The luck of the Irish must be with you today; it's your lucky day, because I'm throwing in an extra idea for you. Have you or your kids ever wondered about the saint part of St Patrick's Day? Who was this Patrick guy, anyway, and why was he sainted? An entertaining and humourous 8 minute history lesson here:
Have some frolicking good fun with your kids on St Patrick's Day! "May love and laughter light your days and warm your heart and home." -Irish Blessing