A stay at home Mum who doesn't stay at home much; too many exciting things to be discovering in this city...
Published August 16th 2012
Put a spring in your step
Melbourne winters are notoriously chilly, damp and unpredictable. Never fear though, spring is just a hop, skip and jump away. If like me, you count down the days until the mercury creeps up to twenty degrees, you'll be relieved that spring is almost here. Put a spring in your step and get yourself prepared for the sunny seasons to come with these ideas and events:
• Spring clean your home – Clear out the cupboards and de-clutter your mess. Studies show that this process actually benefits us in terms of our health and energy levels. Plus when the warm weather does arrive you'll have plenty of time free to spend outdoors soaking up the rays.
• Treat yourself to an ice cream – Some of us didn't let the cold weather put us off eating ice cream (ahem). But if you momentarily stopped, now is a good time to get your ice cream fix again. Melbourne has plenty to offer in the ice cream stakes, but a favourite of mine is Davey Mac's Gelato in Black Rock. Go and try some of their ingenious creations – you won't be disappointed.
• Stock up on your spring/summer wardrobe – The shops are just starting to get their summer stock in so throw caution to the wind and indulge yourself in a shopping spree. Bright colours are all the rage this season which should blow away any cobwebs left by a grey winter.
• Dust off the outdoor furniture – Dig the sun lounger out of the dark recesses of the garage and brush the cobwebs off the outdoor setting. Before you know it barbie season will be upon us, so get your outdoor room ready.
• Gallop down to Melbourne's Spring Racing Carnival - Starting on September 30th and including the famous Melbourne Cup, the Spring Racing Carnival is a celebration of the world's best horse racing. Join the elegantly dressed race goers and take a gamble on your favourite horse. Winter will feel like a lifetime ago.
• Shed a few kilos – Scary as it may be, your beach body will be needed in the coming months, so now is a great time to tone up those flabby bits and lose a kilo or two at your local gym. Fenix, Curves and Fitness First have centres all over Melbourne, so there are no excuses for slacking off!
• Visit the Botanic Gardens – The Royal Botanic Gardens in Cranbourne and in South Yarra will soon be showing off springtime blooms. For information on opening times and locations, go their website.
• Go to the beach – Choose a day when it's not too windy and head down to your local patch of beach. Walk the dog, walk the kids, sip a coffee or just relax. Who cares that you might need your coat on for the next few weeks – sea air is always good for the soul and can imagine yourself lying there in a month or two with considerably less clothes on...
• Attend Melbourne Spring Fashion Week – From 3rd – 9th September is Melbourne's most exciting fashion event. See iconic fashions, retail and design concepts with an exciting mix of runways, activities and special offers. Click here for more information.
* Go to the Royal Melbourne Show – From 22nd Sept until 2nd Oct, Melbourne Showgrounds will be alive with excitement as the annual Melbourne Show comes to town. The whole family can enjoy petting thousands of animals, tasting award winning food and wine, enjoy live entertainment and fantastic new attractions. Not forgetting all the fun of carnival rides, showbags and fireworks.