Confidence is an exceptional attribute which can draw the line between successful and unsuccessful people. Confidence is a powerful emotion which has significant impacts on your mental and physical well-being. This article is a compilation of some simple ways to boost your self-esteem without spending hours and hundreds of dollars on seminars, conferences and self-help books that preach divine ways of attaining confidence overnight. Happy reading.
1. Love yourself – The first and foremost step you should take on the road to becoming a confident person is to love yourself. Eradicate all the negative thoughts and fill your mind with positive outlooks on your abilities and life. Listen to negative self-talk or negative musings and focus on suffusing your mind with optimistic views and thoughts. Next time you notice yourself engaging in any negative self-talk or criticism, stop and turn the course of the musings towards a positive path.
2. Build up confidence slowly – Confidence does not come overnight. It takes time and you have to persevere and be patient. Every day you will have to build the foundation for a strong establishment of confidence within your mind.
3. Every day is a new day – Every day you gaze at the mirror to brush your teeth, put on make-up or just to check your outfit, utter some affirmative words. Choose your mantra and repeat them in your mind or loudly in front of the mirror. You can choose words like: "I am confident, beautiful and intelligent" or "My confidence is growing everyday" etc. Select words that are not too grandiloquent and are easy to repeat.
4. Write a confidence journal – Make it a second nature to yourself to maintain a confidence journal or diary. Every morning or every night spend a few minutes making some entries into this diary. Your entries can be as fantastic as "I delivered a fabulous presentation at work today" or as simple as "I cleaned my microwave today". The idea is to identify things you accomplish on a daily basis which goes a long way in boosting your confidence.
5. Delete negative thoughts – Write a letter to yourself listing all your negative thoughts. This should be a comprehensive list of things you feel you are not good at or things you feel you are not proud of for having said or done them. Once, you have compiled your list, burn it or bury it.
6. Surround yourself with positive people – This may be easier said than done. But try to surround yourself with confident and happy people. Their cheerful presence will imbue you with a high level of positive energy. A great man once said, "Confidence is contagious".
7. Pause and reflect – Everyday at every available opportunity, take a moment to mull over your abilities, qualities, achievements and talents. Spend some time pondering over all the things you like and appreciate about yourself. You can also let your mind wander onto memories of kind words or compliments paid by an individual. Going back to my first point, learn to love yourself and learn to appreciate yourself.
Remember confidence is an attitude that can be developed by maintaining a positive belief in one's abilities.