Subscribe      List an Event or Business      Invite a Writer      Write for WN      Writers      Other Locations
Home > Everywhere > Comments > Silliest Things We Post on Facebook
Your Reply
Optional Image: (jpg or gif)
Your Email:

Security Image:
ykjkyp
Security Text:
copy text from image above
Highlighted
minimum score: order: subscribe:
I am NOT a fan of Facebook or Twitter. I think Mark Zuckerberg has alot to answer for in my opinion. It has caused so much heartache for teenagers especially, who feel they MUST be on Facebook to be "popular" with their friends. I've lost count of how many teen suicides I've heard about after these kids have been subjected to cruel comments and death threats from nameless & faceless cowards. Just look at the fallout from Charlotte Dawson. Sorry, but you will never convert me to Facebook or Twitter.
by steve (score: 2|134) 3787 days ago
by 1chil (score: 1), 3786 days ago
Steve, all respect to you for speaking your mind. I also believe it's the underlying notion that there's little consequence for what gets said in social spaces.

I'm somewhat divided about social media as a whole. I can see the benefit it presents with the opportunity to share and express one's thoughts and feelings with others. Yet it can be so easily abused to nurture the worst traits of narcissism, elitism and bullying. But it's not my intent to condemn the medium and turn this into a witch hunt. I'm aware not everyone in these spaces is deliberately intent on causing harm to others.

In my humble opinion, it just comes down to recognising the boundaries of social acceptance (rightly pointed out by Serbian's post in this forum) and having a sense of personal responsibility. I don't feel it should necessitate a formalised policing body - that would defeat the purpose of the medium.

Entrenched as it is, social media is still relatively new, and I believe that a lot of the "bad" that occurs in social spaces is generally borne of naivety. Perhaps it's simply up to those who recognise its power and who do use it responsibly, to provide some guidance to those who don't recognise that power.