Established over thirty years ago in 1979, the Sherwood Neighbourhood Centre is a not-for-profit organisation providing the community with essential services and support plus a variety of fun group and leisure activities. Their dedication and commitment to the community has not gone unnoticed as the centre was recently awarded the Quest Newspapers/Suncorp Bank Business Achievers Award for Community Service and Non Profit Organisations.
[ADVERT]Several organisations utilise the facilities at the Sherwood Neighbourhood Centre to bring the community a host of fun activities in areas like dance, drama, fitness and arts and crafts.
Dance/ Drama/ Fitness Classes 1. The Elite School Of Dance run professional classes in classical ballet, tap, jazz, contemporary dance and drama. They have three studio locations throughout Brisbane and run several classes at the Sherwood Neighbourhood Centre on Thursday afternoons and Saturday mornings. Lessons cater for age groups from 3 years old to adults and their fees are very affordable. For a full list of classes and fees visit the website
2. The Centenary Physie Club provides classes in physical culture, "a sport for girls and women which aims to build confidence, good posture, strength, grace and flexibility through exercise". Classes are divided into age groups starting from a 'Babies Class' for 3 to 4 years old right through to senior classes. Held on Monday and Wednesday evenings, please contact Melissa on 0409090939 for more information.
3. Adults who have never had the pleasure of learning ballet may want to sign up for the Ballet Revisited classes held every Tuesday night. Ballet is a fantastic form of exercise that is both fun to learn and assists in strengthening and toning your muscles. To book a class telephone Lexie on 3378 3606.
4. Drama Amour is suitable for children aged 5 to 9 years of age and helps to develop a child's confidence and creativity through self-expression. Held weekly on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons, please contact Ainsley for more information on 3278 3885.
Arts and Crafts Classes Regular arts and craft classes are run in the areas of scrapbooking, cross stitch and art for people with disabilities.
• Creative Memories (scrapbooking) class runs every third Saturday of each month from 5pm to 10pm. Contact Jenny on 3351 6165.
• Cross Stitch classes for beginners to advanced. Held fortnightly on a Wednesday from 10am to 1pm, call Chris on 3217 0976 for more information.
• Super Art is a unique art class catering for people with disabilities. Held on Fridays, please contact Clare for more information on 0438619178.
In conjunction with the Brisbane City Council, the centre also runs a number of activities through the GOLD Program. To view the full list of activities and groups conducted at the centre, visit the website.
Bag a bargain at the Sherwood Neighbourhood Centre Thrift Shop
Bag yourself a bargain at their thrift shop opened Monday to Thursday from 9am to noon. Most items are around the $2 mark and you'll be doing your part to help the community as all funds raised go to supporting the homeless. Additionally, you can help by donating any of your unused items to the centre.
Volunteer Volunteers are vital to ensuring the successful running of the neighbourhood centre. Some of their volunteer roles are in areas such as administration, maintenance and gardening, driving, shop assistants and more. If you'd like to lend a helping hand, contact the Centre Co-ordinator on 3379 6963.