Avid trail runner, freelance writer and a mother of four with a healthy obsession for the great outdoors. Join me in my discoveries along the Mornington Peninsula and further afield by subscribing to my articles.
Activities for all ages
The Mornington Peninsula is a great place to spend some time these school holidays with plenty of activities for all age groups that will keep everyone amused.
* If the kids are after adventure then the Enchanted Maze at Arthurs Seat is a stand out with their new tree surfing high ropes course. For the younger ones the tube slides offer plenty of fun, along with the amazing gardens and mazes which include the spooky 3D maze. Other mazes in the area are Boneo maze@ wetlands with the new mini golf open and Ashcombe Maze at Red Hill.
* If the kids want to swim without getting cold the Hastings Pelican Park Leisure Centre has a heated indoor pool and offers a school holiday activity called "Thunderbolt" - a 19 metre inflatable obstacle course. If mum and dad want to enjoy some time in the pool too then maybe the Peninsula Hot Springs may be an option, with 41 degree outdoor bathing pools.
* For something a bit different with lots of novelty fun factor, head to the Dromana Drive In, which is screening children's movies each night of the school holidays that include Despicable Me 2, Monsters University and Epic.
* Coolart Homestead and Wetlands. Gather a few of the kids friends and explore the wetlands and bird hides before having a barbecue on the lawn in front of the homestead.
* The Briars offers a similar experience to Coolart Wetlands except there is the opportunity to view some native animals in the information centre. There is also a junior ranger program at The Briars over the holidays which incurs a fee.
* Keep watch over Port Phillip Bay for whales. Searoad Ferries, which operate between Queenscliff and Sorrento, reported whales coming into the bay this week. Searoad ferries are also operating school holiday activities on board the MV Ferry.
* Cape Schanck lighthouse is expensive to go into and look around but there is a great short walk that gives great views of the ocean and the lighthouse for free.
* Shopping centres are offering free school holiday activities that include face painting, craft and art.