A journalist by profession, my work includes writing and editing for newspapers, not for profit organisations and businesses.
Great things for kids to do around the Bay in September
The September holidays are coming up and there are a range of activities being organised by local Bayside businesses and shopping centres to keep the kids occupied and entertained during the break.
1. Tania's Arthouse is holding art classes for children, teens and adults. There is a Ballet Arts Day where children will make a tutu, draw a ballerina, and create clay ballet point shoes; the box monster and funky hand bag class; print making for teens and adults; designing and painting a skateboard blank; and drawing and painting a cartoon self-portrait.
Box monster courtesy Tania's Arthouse
Classes are in the first and second week of the holiday. The length depends on the class (the skate deck painting is over two days) and range in price from $25 (box monsters and hand bags) to $85 for the skate deck painting. The cost includes all materials.
The classes are held at Tania's Arthouse, which is located at Level 1, 119 Bloomfield St, Cleveland. To book phone 0422 497 627.
2. Rainbow Groovy Girl (aka Tiana from Tiana's Dance Parties) will be performing at Wynnum Plaza Shopping Centre (2021 Wynnum Road) during the second week of the holidays. You'll find her outside Priceline at 11am and 1pm from Monday, October 1 until Saturday, October 6. Her show is especially great for kids between the ages of three and nine.
3. R.A.P.S Diving Club Inc, which provides springboard and platform diving coaching, will be running a clinic in Chandler, providing an opportunity for beginnings to give diving a try.
The clinic is on Monday, September 24, Tuesday, September 25 and Friday, September 26 from 8.30am until 11.30am, and Wednesday, October 3 and Thursday, October 4 from 8.30am until 11.30am and Friday, October 5 from 8am until 11am.
All levels are welcome from beginners to development and elite squad members.
Activities include dry land, fitness, board and trampoline work. The cost is $25 per day or $65 for three days each week. For more information contact Di Smith on 0411 121 198.
Mini tours cost $45 per person and $150 for a family of two adults and two kids.
5. There will be a Magnificent Mammals Day at the Redlands IndigiScapes Centre in Capalaba on Friday, September 28 from 10am until 1pm. It's a free family fun day to celebrate National Save the Koala Day. Activities include a live animal presentation, an opportunity to meet a koala, craft activities and face painting, as well as a sausage sizzle.
Picture courtesy Redlands IndigiScapes Centre
6. Also at IndigiScapes, children aged between eight and 16 years can create, draw and cut out mammal designs to screen-print onto a bag to take home. This activity is being held on Wednesday, September 26 from 10am until 11.30am and costs $4 per person.
Bookings are essential for the Creatures of the Dark Spotlight activity at IndigiScapes on Wednesday, September 26 from 7pm until 8.30pm. This activity provides fun for the family as you learn about birds, koalas, possums, and other night creatures that live in the IndigiScapes environment. The cost is $4 per person or $12 for a group of four.
7. Windmill Potteries is offering pottery classes for kids aged between six and thirteen years. Classes are on Saturday mornings between 9.30am and 12.30pm and on additional days, if there is a demand. For further information email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 07 3206 2777.
8. There are a range of activities at Redland City Council libraries over the holiday. These include making felt fridge magnets on Tuesday, September 25 from 10am until 11am at Victoria Point Library and Thursday, September 27 from 2pm until 3pm at Capalaba Library. This activity is suitable for children aged 8 years and over.
Younger children, aged under six years, will enjoy the Dinosaurs Day Out on Wednesday, September 26 from 10am until 11am at Victoria Point Library. This offers them the opportunity to dress up as their favourite dinosaur or create and enjoy a fun morning of stories and craft.
9. There will be a Circus School running at Wellington Point Village each day from Tuesday, September 25 until Thursday, September 27 with morning clowning and juggling classes, as well as fairy floss and popcorn, a bouncy castle, face painting, fun activities in the park, and a balloon bouquet hunt for free activities or lunch deals with participating businesses.
10. Sand Wizard will provide creative, magical fun for kids at Wynnum Plaza from Monday, September 24 until Saturday, September 29 between 9am and 4pm. Each child has the opportunity to do one free SandWizard activity per day.
11. The Redlands Art Gallery is running free school holiday workshops for children during which kids are able to create a dreamcatcher using a range of craft materials. Bookings are essential and can be made by phoning 07 3829 8484. The workshops are being held in Capalaba on Tuesday, September 25, and Tuesday, October 2 at various times. They are designed for children aged between six and 12.
12. Children older than eight years are invited to a fun cartoon workshop with Brian Doyle at Cleveland Library on Wednesday, October 3 from 10am until 11.30am. No bookings are required.
14. Kids can design a Looney Tunes Frisbee at the Activity Centre at Capalaba Central from Monday, September 24 until Friday, September 28 between 10am and 1pm. The following week from Tuesday, October 2 until Saturday, October 6 kids of all ages have the opportunity to build the tallest tower in four minutes with prizes valued at $200 up for grabs. The Timber Tower Challenge runs from 10am until 1pm.
The Popcorn Pirates Stage Show will run from Monday, September 24 until Sunday, September 30 at 11am and 1pm at Capalaba Park, while the Companions Wildlife Display will be the attraction from Monday, October 1 until Saturday, October 6.
15. Victoria Point Shopping Centre will be entertaining children with Little Green Thumbs activity in the first week of the holidays. Booking is essential for the free activity between 10am and 2pm each day from Monday, September 24 and Saturday, September 29.
The Farmer Rob Show, which sees Farm Rob and Sunny the Sunflower teaching Kelly about growing things on the farm will be performed daily at 11am and 1pm from Tuesday, October 2 until Saturday, October 6.