A retired business owner, my passions are cooking, photography and eating. I use all three of these when I write for recipeyum.com.au which is on HubGarden
Pristine books of all genres at these great sales
Save the Children is an organisation that not only have op shops but they also sell good quality second-hand books. They have two branches, a North and a South of the River, and every year each of these branches holds several book sales.
STC sell pristine books only
Books are all donated, staff in the bookshops are all volunteers and this means that most of the money raised from these ventures will be directed to programs for children in need.
Great secondhand book sales
The following is a list of this year's book sales:
* UNIVERSITY BRANCH BEST SELLERS BOOK SALE Saturday 9th February, from 10.00 am until 4.00 pm
Sunday 10th February, from 10.00 am until 4.00 pm Hackett Hall Cafe - please note only a selection of the main sale categories will be for sale.
Giant book sale
* JOONDALUP BOOK SALE Saturday 27th April, from 9.00 am until 4.00 pm Sunday 28th April, from 9.00 am until 1.00 pm
HBF Arena, Kennedya Drive, Joondalup
* SOUTH OF THE RIVER BRANCH BOOK SALE Saturday 6th July, from 9.00 am until 4.00 pm Sunday 7th July, from 9.00 am until 1.00 pm
Milford Book Depot, unit 8-18 Milford Street, East Vic Park
*UNIVERSITY OF WA BOOK SALE
This is the main book sale for the year and by far the largest.
Friday 16th August, from 3.00 pm until 9.00 pm
Saturday 17th August, from 8.00 am until 5.00 pm
Sunday 18th August, from 8.00 am until 5.00 pm
Monday 19th August, from 9.00 am until 6.00 pm
Tuesday 20th August, from 9.00 am until 7.00 pm
Wednesday 21st August, from 9.00 am until 3.00 pm
Largest book sale of the year
University of Western Australia, Stirling Highway, Crawley (Under the clock tower)
University main book sale
*CANNINGTON EXHIBITION CENTRE BOOK SALE
This is the main sale for South of the River branch.
Saturday 28th September, from 9.00 am until 5.00 pm
Sunday 29th September, from 9.00 am until 5.00 pm
Monday 30th September, from 9.00 am until 5.00 pm
Tuesday 1st October, from 9.00 am until 5.00 pm
Wednesday 2nd October, from 9.00 am until 5.00 pm
Cannington Exhibition Centre, Corner Albany Highway and Station Streets, Cannington
South of the river book sale
If you have any queries about any of these sales, please call Save the Children West Perth on 08 9267 3900.
ABOUT SAVE THE CHILDREN
• Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. They are world renowned for the work they do.
• STC was founded in April 1919 and will be 100 years old in 2019
• The founder was Eglantyne Jebb a British socialite
• She first raised funds for children in Europe who were malnourished and homeless after the war
• In an emergency, STC provides life-saving essentials – food, clean water, healthcare and shelter – and services such as education and protection support for children
• Programs are run to assist vulnerable children in Perth, Australia and overseas
• They have local branches or groups of people who raise funds to assist Save the Children in every state in Australia
• They have Op Shops in every state from which all funds are used to directly fund the work they do
• Health/education and protection are some of their main priorities with children, not only overseas but locally too
Nurse tending to a sick child
WHERE THE MONEY GOES
71% project expenditure
7% commercial activity
The Rohingya Crisis is the fastest-growing humanitarian emergency in the world today. STC is on the ground in Cox's Bazar, Bangladesh where more than 700,000 people are in urgent need after fleeing violence in Myanmar.
Child Hunger Crisis
A severe hunger crisis is putting children's lives in danger across parts of North Africa. Since early 2018, STC has been working in South Sudan, Somalia, Ethiopia, Kenya, Nigeria and Yemen to stop children dying from hunger.
Helping suffering children in many countries
In late September 2018, a devastating tsunami and earthquake struck Sulawesi, Indonesia. More than 1,500,000 people have been impacted by this disaster including at least 600,000 children.
Since March 2015, the situation in Yemen has deteriorated into the world's largest humanitarian crisis. The teams at Save the Children are delivering food, medicine and humanitarian support, treating more than 140,000 children suffering from malnutrition.
Child suffering from malnutrition
All this information hopefully will allow you to understand that when you buy these pristine books from a Save the Children book sale, you can rest assured that the money is being used in a helpful and life-saving way for children.
Please mark your phones and diaries with these dates, so that you can help less fortunate children around the world.
Thanks for your support.
Unfortunately there are two mistakes in the article:
The sale on the weekend of 9,19 February is in Hackett Hall NOT the Undercroft, and it will be our first Summer Sale, and will only feature about a third of the categories for the main sale in August.