Teacher educator and author of many teacher reference books. Amused by random ideas and loves random acts of kindness. Enjoys writing humour...seriously!Please see my Instagram: wilsonjeni
Published November 14th 2013
Buy Recklessly and Give Generously
Why are the Sacred Heart Op Shops so Special?
Just what I need - a new bust!
The Sacred Heart mission was started in 1982 by Parish Priest Father Ernie Smith who opened his door and fed a homeless man. This was the foundation for providing basic necessities to those in need. At first the priest's parish kitchen was used to prepare meals. Now the Sacred Heart Parish Hall is used as a dining hall and provides breakfast and lunch every day. In fact it feeds 500 people free meals every single day of year!
Flying the Sacred Heart Flag
The Sacred Heart mission has seven op shops in various locations throughout Melbourne, the profits are used to primarily fund programs and services for the homeless and people living in poverty. They also offer support those in crisis, the homeless, victims of abuse and trauma, and those who are lonely. Emergency relief accommodation, food, clothing, health care (including counselling), laundry and bathroom facilities, goods and companionship are provided to those who need assistance.
The Sacred Heart Mission also provides other extensive services you wouldn't expect like transport to various sporting activities and access to arts programs.
Now that's a big bear!
Here's some of the reasons why the Sacred Heart mission Op Shops are so special:
1. The op shops are open seven days a week.
2. If you can't deliver your pre-loved goods (clothing, furniture, books, household items and shoes) to one of the op shop's during opening hours there is a free collection service that operates from Monday to Saturday. To arrange collection phone 9536 8437 or you can visit their website and fill out an online collection request form.
3. There is a huge range of items including gift wrapped items.
4. They have the best range of shoes including many unusual, feminine and large sized shoes.
Have a look at these unusual styles
5. They have more hats than any other op shop I've ever been too. I saw a customer trying on a very unusual Russian influenced style of grey fluffy hat.
Next time I need a new wedding dress I'll know where to go
6. The Sacred Heart Mission welcomes all comers, especially the most vulnerable souls who might otherwise be left by the wayside
Real mink for only $20
The Sacred Heart mission relies on the support of individuals, community groups and organisations. Apart from donating goods to the op shop's, volunteering, donations, gifts in-kind and will bequests, you can attend fund-raising events. This is truly a worthwhile cause. You never know when you or someone you love might need the help of the Sacred Heart mission.
Did I mention the shoes?
Contact Details for Op Shops
86 Riversdale Road (corner of Glenferrie Road) Hawthorn
T: 03 9819 9593
10am to 5pm, 7 days a week